Thanks for the responses so far chaps

Not sure who's car this was as don't know anyone on here of course. Some mention of Pete and Phil above ?

The car was reasonable bodywork wise (couple of dinks but nothing serious) and quite nice inside. I do like the alcantara seats they are lovely. But my two greatest car related irritations are oil leaks and careless scuffing of wheels. I sold an 06 plate Mondeo ST recently with 24k miles and it was, in all respects, as good as when it came out of the factory. I'd be chuffed if I could find a 260 anywhere near as good.

What I couldn't understand was why the owner hadn't sorted the wheels given that he had (apparently) bought two new wheels to replace two scuffed ones. Hence I expected a scuff free wheels car (okay - maybe I'm naive !). And as for the oil leak.....but as someone said the car may have been traded weeks ago and knocked about in the meantime. Who knows.

I would have thought these would generally be bought by enthusiasts and therefore well cared for and / or restored where a bit scabby. But with there only having ever been 800 maybe I won't ever find what I'm looking for (a bit like Bono !)

Thanks for all responses so far. Much appreciated.

OC