How many are still nice and what are my chances.... ?

Thread: How many are still nice and what are my chances.... ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How many are still nice and what are my chances.... ?

Hi all

First time poster. Have been looking for something with a nice V8 for a while. Have considered Jaguar XKR / XK8 and S-Type R but also half an eye on MG ZT 260.

Went to look at a ZT260 on Monday. 55 plate, 22k miles, and you would think reading the description, mint. Found it to have been owned by the world wheel scuffing champion (two spares scuffed plus the ones on the car scuffed), to have air con working only on the passenger side (?) and an oil slick about 8 inches wide running from the back of the gearbox all along the bottom of the car (and dripping off the bolts of the cross member thingy about halfway back). Plus the added large rear spoiler in addition to the lip spoiler (ehhh ?) was scuffed in two places to (god knows how he did that).

So, question is, what realistically are the chances of me finding a nice, well cared for, virtually unmarked example (accepting a little wear & tear) with reasonable mileage (say sub 50k) a service history, all of the known desirable upgrades a seat bolster that looks factory fresh, unscuffed wheels and nothing currently wrong with it ? Given production of circa 800 is it fair to assume that maybe 400 are trashed / thrashed / scrapped and another 200 tatty / unloved / high miles ? That leaves only 200 of which maybe less than 100 will be really nice and not a silly colour (X Power Grey or dark blue, if they did such a thing, would be my preference).

I suspect my chances are near zero but would welcome opinions....

Thanks all
    Last edited by Oddcat; 21-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.