Improve/restore my ZT-T bit by bit or just take it all on?

Thread: Improve/restore my ZT-T bit by bit or just take it all on?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

On the matter of the rear-subframe, I think I remember the bowed cross tube being available as an 'item'? That was used by the MGOC Workshop amongst others ... or am I dreaming it?

Don't know if there is any possibility of that being investigate by the Club, with Dom or whoever, Tim ?
    They would be a Club shop item as hot as the front struts, I imagine.

Would be very, very useful, particularly to members living abroad post Brexit, if they were (still) available. Exporting and re-importing a subframe from, say, Holland to the UK would I imagine be hugely expensive and difficult for a private individual I think. Not only immense transport costs, but jumping through the customs 'handling fees', tax and duty hoops, both ends, both ways! Bad enough just trying to buy a nut and bolt from the UK now. Since subframes behave like they are made of chocolate, that's probably an illegal EU personal-import anyway!

David
    Last edited by David; 04-06-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    On the matter of the rear-subframe, I think I remember the bowed cross tube being available as an 'item'? That was used by the MGOC Workshop amongst others ... or am I dreaming it?

Don't know if there is any possibility of that being investigate by the Club, with Dom or whoever, Tim ?
    They would be a Club shop item as hot as the front struts, I imagine.

Would be very, very useful, particularly to members living abroad post Brexit, if they were (still) available. Exporting and re-importing a subframe from, say, Holland to the UK would I imagine be hugely expensive and difficult for a private individual I think. Not only immense transport costs, but jumping through the customs 'handling fees', tax and duty hoops, both ends, both ways! Bad enough just trying to buy a nut and bolt from the UK now. Since subframes behave like they are made of chocolate, that's probably an illegal EU personal-import anyway!

David
    With this subframe, surely would depend if anything needs welding etc or just surface rust?. Won't really know unless it's removed but even then there must a fabrication company in Holland that can do any work needed?
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8

Quote Originally Posted by jeff turbo View Post
    With this subframe, surely would depend if anything needs welding etc or just surface rust?. Won't really know unless it's removed but even then there must a fabrication company in Holland that can do any work needed?
    Very true Jeff, but the cross-tube is the piece that is most often affected by the rot-bug at its ends because of the poor design (re drainage), as you know, and it is an usual shape to boot! I think I read that the MGOC Workshop would weld one in 'in situ', if needs must.

If a ready fabricated solution were available, that would be a big step forward, I think. Mine is still perfectly OK, even after 350k kms., but I check it every time it goes up on the ramp, and I would put a cross-tube piece into the garage-stock if it were available, to join all the other "just in case" difficult and unique V8 parts, bushes, hoses, HEVAC and AC bits, steering, ECU etc. etc. 'Olive' is a keeper, and still a daily-drive car since "birth", so will probably out-survive me that way!

David
    Last edited by David; 04-06-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Very true Jeff, but the cross-tube is the piece that is most often affected by the rot-bug at its ends because of the poor design (re drainage), as you know, and it is an usual shape to boot!

If a ready fabricated solution were available, that would be a big step forward, I think. Mine is still perfectly OK after 350k kms., but I check it every time it goes up on the ramp, and I would put a cross-tube piece into the garage-stock if it were available, to join all the other "just in case" difficult and unique V8 parts, bushes, hoses, HEVAC, steering, ECU etc. etc. 'Olive' is a keeper, and will probably out-survive me that way!

David
    That's true but it is only that, a tube that's bent and welded into place, for any fabrication company that wouldn't be too difficult. I had Dom's company do mine but after looking at my rusty one it's not that difficult. With luck Petes one wont need welding etc
    1958 Ford Consul Convertible
    1965 Ford Zodiac Executive, being restored
    1997 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
    2003 Number 182 MGZT V8
    2004 MGZT cdti Poseidon
    2004 Number 76 MGZT V8