Supercharging? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supercharging?

Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    The business does not exist. So there is quite literally no other option.
    I imagine the gent over in Callander may have some more info on that.
    He may well (still) have some claim on rights with respect to the software, if not its ownership.

David
    Last edited by David; 22-03-2022 at 01:06 PM.

Cool then if so lets see some commercial activity in place to support people that wish to purchase maps.
    If not, then... lost money and maps will be copied by others.
    Can't have it both ways.

The business does not exist. So there is quite literally no other option.
    Withe the correct software and some time on a rolling road a new map could be written. Probably not a bad idea as the original map would have been designed safe so probably some extra HP available if wanted.

The problem as has been said adding 50% or more to an engines HP after 15 years of use is probably going to end badly. I will repeat what I have said before, If you want to get your car to go like a Ferrar go and buy a Ferrari.

Steve

Just to say though Steve, our cars were designed to have the charger fitted, yes I get it that after 15 yrs service you would need to do a top to tail refurb / check to fit it with confidence however I fully subscribe to having a sleeper that has 409 horses and let’s face it l, dam sight cheaper than your prancing horse !

Cool then if so lets see some commercial activity in place to support people that wish to purchase maps.
    If not, then... lost money and maps will be copied by others.
    Can't have it both ways.
    And the map would be cloned purely for personal use and non profit.

Besides, if I understand this correctly, the zt260 has two ECU'S? One for the rover side of the car and a separate Ford ECU for the engine?

If that's correct, then I don't see how the fact that the engine is in a rover makes much difference as far as employing a mustang tuner to map the engine?

Should be the same as mapping a regular Stang?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    ... Should be the same as mapping a regular Stang?
    Apparently not. You need to have an Rover original map loaded which is different to its 'Stang cousin, I understand (Chris/Nick et al.).
    The actual ECU hardware is the same (different units for manual and auto though).

David

Some of the "kits" come with a chip that you replace in the ECU but for some reason that does not work in out cars. My guess it is probably something to do with the engine immobiliser or gateway ECU.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Some of the "kits" come with a chip that you replace in the ECU but for some reason that does not work in out cars. My guess it is probably something to do with the engine immobiliser or gateway ECU.

Steve
    Presumably it's a Mustang chip you get, not Rover/MG one, so won't work in the same way that a genuine new Ford Mustang ECU will not work in a Rover/MG either. Not just a matter of registering the 'master' ECU with the gateway ECU and immobiliser etc. as it normally is with a new ECU.

David
    Last edited by David; 28-03-2022 at 11:10 AM.

As much as I appreciate a healthy discussion please remember that the original poster joined this forum 12 years ago and is still not in possession of a car that will qualify him to be a 260's member so all speculation about the issue of supercharging opportunities and maps is just that, speculation. Nothing wrong with that but seems a bit pointless if you still haven't got a car to work on.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    As much as I appreciate a healthy discussion please remember that the original poster joined this forum 12 years ago and is still not in possession of a car that will qualify him to be a 260's member so all speculation about the issue of supercharging opportunities and maps is just that, speculation. Nothing wrong with that but seems a bit pointless if you still haven't got a car to work on.

Nich.
    I've found this thread very interesting reading being a 260 owner who would very much like to have a Supercharger fitted to my car.
    Personally, I'm glad the thread is still running.