Headlight Refurb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Refurb

Shot Silk & Supercharged

Default Headlight Refurb

My headlights have been fogging up with chips, scratches and general wear due to the miles I've been racking up.

Got a headlight restoration kit and what a difference.

I did take some before and after pictures but the befores didn't come out too well, but this is "after"

I'm really pleased with the result and when only one light was done, the difference between the two was really noticeable. In total it took about 45 minutes, it's not yet perfect and I may give it another go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ksilver View Post
    My headlights have been fogging up with chips, scratches and general wear due to the miles I've been racking up.

I did take some before and after pictures but the befores didn't come out too well, but this is "after"

I'm really pleased with the result and when only one light was done, the difference between the two was really noticeable. In total it took about 45 minutes, it's not yet perfect and I may give it another go soon.
    Thanks for that, may have to give mine a go soon as well.,
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

The lights on her 180 ZT-T (now sold to my daughter, Amelia) were really bad after 160,000kms in the Aussie sun. They were becoming quite opaque and discoloured. Her partner Ross bought a similar kit and spent a similar number of hours to bring them back to clarity (see photos). Not sure how long they will last though - that sun is pretty intense! It would be nice if the covers could be bought separately from the whole light fitting. I assume they just clip off, but most threads on this issue indicate that you have to buy the complete lights to get new covers. This might need to be a future product for the shop.
    Last edited by Malcolmr; 28-05-2012 at 02:18 AM.
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

I spoke to Hella about new covers and they said they couldn't help because although they made the original units all of the original moulds had ended up with MGR. Anyone know where they are likely to be now?

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    I spoke to Hella about new covers and they said they couldn't help because although they made the original units all of the original moulds had ended up with MGR. Anyone know where they are likely to be now?

Nich.
    China ??...........
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Looks good, but how did it deal with stone chips on the headlamps?

I have wondered as this kind of damage isnt just surface deep quite often...

Shot Silk & Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
    Looks good, but how did it deal with stone chips on the headlamps?

I have wondered as this kind of damage isnt just surface deep quite often...
    I didn't have any nasty chips, but the surface was quite rough and dirt was caught clouding the lenses.

The process is a bit like T-cutting, polishing out the roughness. I would hope that with the surface smoothed out it will help keep the lenses clear long term, but a bit like claying and polishing paintwork, it will probably be best to do it on a regular basis.

I would say that a day later after the polish has dried out, there is still more work to be done, but it is without a doubt better than it was.

Looks good!

Klaus
    Klaus
    Northern Germany
    2021 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300e X254 -company car-
    2005 MG ZT 260 RX #315 Beast! -summer days-
    1972 Mercedes-Benz 280S W108 -very few summer days-
    1991 Mercedes-Benz 300TE-24 S124 -under complete restoration-

Quote Originally Posted by ksilver View Post

I bought the Turtle Wax equivalent for my ZT-T today. I'd used the Macguires cream with some limited success, so decided the full kit was necessary. Have also had he machine buffed to get swirl marks out of the royal blue paint, and she looks stunning!
    Still in love SIX years on! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post

Nich.
    Sadly - in a skip I'd expect
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end