Quote Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
In the first year of owning the 260 i managed to average 23mpg with a worst of 18.9 a best of just over the 28 mark and over 25mpg on 10 seperate occations. Yes, I used to keep records of such things as fuel consumption back then but the £££££ got me depressed so i gave it up for the good of my health. Now just drive the car

However, back to the mpg thingy. Did 13076 miles in the first year so the got a good idea of what the fuel consumption was like. Motorway driving is boring at the best of times and the only way to make it intersting is to flex the right foot but that can have bad side effects so,

...motorways are boring to drive Plod along at a legal speed, munching the miles and you can turn in a good fuel figure. I got the 28mpg on a day trip to Newcastle uponTyne. From Reading that's a round trip of some 580 miles; 25mpg there and 28 on the return.

The contrast to that is the track day i did the other weekend at goodwood. Round trip including track time of 201 miles (84 at the track) with an overall 17.95 mpg but about 12 to 13 mpg on the track

Bottom line? Keep to the legal limit on the motorway and assuming you don't get stuck in slow/stationary traffic, you should get 300 miles from a tank no problem ..... just keep an eye on that gauge and what your right foot is doing

P.S. I only do 5000 miles a year now and don't keep a record of the fuel consumption.
Thanks. When you say legal limit, I assume sticking to 70mph all the way? I must say last time I took a long trip to Scotland in my Diesel I drove at 80 quite a lot of time, but in this that'll worsen the fuel consumption drastically right?