error code P0175
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: error code P0175

Default error code P0175

Hi,

Having not used my 260 for sometime I have error code P0175 (right hand bank running rich) I believe. A friend of mind cleared the code but it has come back after a small amount of use, does anyone have any idea where I need to go with what maybe causing this issue.

Many thanks for any help.

Rob.
    Last edited by David; 14-01-2024 at 11:26 AM.

Could be a bad fuel injector!
    There is no substitute for cubic inches!

Run some injector cleaner through it. I suggest you dose it when you have a 1/3 of a tank and then take it for a run.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
    Run some injector cleaner through it. I suggest you dose it when you have a 1/3 of a tank and then take it for a run.
    Do you recon that stuff really works, Steve? Reading around most say that if the situation is injector related and is bad enough to cause a misfire and/or raise a warning code, a tank-added cleaner won't be aggressive enough to do much good. Its not all that expensive, but is it just throwing money away?

I guess the fact that you mentioned it means you think otherwise (!), but have you ever noticed any difference afterwards? I tried it once (Wynn's), and didn't.

David
    Last edited by David; 02-03-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I will try that approach first and see what happens, by the way what grade of fuel should be used in a 260 ?

Rob.

i had that changed a coil pack and it went away

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Do you recon that stuff really works, Steve? Reading around most say that if the situation is injector related and is bad enough to cause a misfire and/or raise a warning code, a tank-added cleaner won't be aggressive enough to do much good. Its not all that expensive, but is it just throwing money away?

I guess the fact that you mentioned it means you think otherwise (!), but have you ever noticed any difference afterwards? I tried it once (Wynn's), and didn't.

David
    I have had some good results with injector cleaners, don't bother with the rubbish you buy in Halfords but go to a Motor factor and buy the stuff the trade use like Forte. Also don't put a pot in with a full tank as it will be to diluted. 1/3 of tank is a good mix with a bottle.

As far as coil packs go it seems they start failing at about 60k to 70k. They will often be fine for the first few miles but as they heat up they can break down and in my experience will usually bring up a fault code for the one that has failed. For about $250 plus shipping and import duty you can buy a quality set from MSD or Accel. These with a new set of Iridium plugs correctly gapped will eliminate any potential ignition problems. Make sure you put copper grease on the threads of the spark plugs and don't over tighten them.

Steve

I have had some good results with injector cleaners, don't bother with the rubbish you buy in Halfords but go to a Motor factor and buy the stuff the trade use like Forte. Also don't put a pot in with a full tank as it will be to diluted. 1/3 of tank is a good mix with a bottle.

As far as coil packs go it seems they start failing at about 60k to 70k. They will often be fine for the first few miles but as they heat up they can break down and in my experience will usually bring up a fault code for the one that has failed. For about $250 plus shipping and import duty you can buy a quality set from MSD or Accel. These with a new set of Iridium plugs correctly gapped will eliminate any potential ignition problems. Make sure you put copper grease on the threads of the spark plugs and don't over tighten them.

Steve
    Hi Steve, thanks for the info. The Forte products are good I use the diesel treatment in my defender and find it works. Will take the plugs out and check condition then check coil packs.

On a different note what grade petrol to use premium or just the standard, do these engines have a preference ?

Thanks Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by rob plumpton View Post
    Hi Steve, thanks for the info. The Forte products are good I use the diesel treatment in my defender and find it works. Will take the plugs out and check condition then check coil packs.

On a different note what grade petrol to use premium or just the standard, do these engines have a preference ?

Thanks Rob.
    I just use the regular 95 fuel, Rob, as I understand that is what the engine is set up to use.

I'll try your Forte tip too, Steve. Not that I have noticed any problems but can't do any harm I guess. I'm getting a bit paranoid about the nearly 330k kms she has on clock now and a bit of cosseting and preventative maintenance wouldn't go amiss!

I took your MSD COP's tip of a few months back on-board too, since I'm on the originals; factory Ford/MGR yellow felt-tip check marks on 7 of the eight ! Paid Euro 254 for the MSD's from the Dutch dealer, all-in delivered to the door. Not too bad. Got the new thermostat too (see, we do all listen!). All waiting to be fitted when I clean 330k of crud off the motor.

(Back to the thread : ) Best of luck with your rich running problem, Rob. Hope the injector cleaner helps.

David
    Last edited by David; 02-03-2017 at 09:24 PM.

No.146 Zt260 SE

A couple of summers ago I had a message 'CHECK ENGINE' appear in the message centre after I collected No.146 from a long layup whilst subframe was replaced and other bits and pieces. Having driven gingerly home I looked under the bonnet, checked fluids etc. the engine seemed to be running fine. I began to wonder whether the long layup was causing the message (condensation etc.) so my solution was to disconnect the battery, leave for a few hours and then reconnect. The warning message had gone and has not reappeared. It may not be a solution in your case as the message has reappeared after being cleared but it might be worth a try.

Andrew.