HELP Rear Springs

Thread: HELP Rear Springs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default help Rear springs

Hi Gang,

Good news- The MGOC will supply and fit the springs - £380 fitted so booked it in on Friday- sorry Tim but I didn't see your post until afterwards.

Told these are being made to order so fingers crossed they work.

The odd thing is that I have never broken srings before- is this a design fault?

I have towed with my car- caravan to Goodwood- with no problem other than 16MPG, but collected my kit car on a trailer in the summer so wonder if thats what did it

Either way we should have another 260 on the road shortly!

In passing - rear tyres- I am getting through Contis and Bridgestones in around 5k miles- is this my lead foot, (or frightening the local hot hatch), or is this normal? i note Paul's 520 looks to be hard on its rears

Regards

Paul

Springs are a common fault on the earlier type of spring and 5000 miles for rear tyres is not uncommon so it all seems perfectly normal to me.
    Keith Vinten
    Mk 1 Tourer in X-Power Grey
    VIN 197
    No mods but I can dream

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Francks View Post
    Hi Gang,

Good news- The MGOC will supply and fit the springs - £380 fitted so booked it in on Friday- sorry Tim but I didn't see your post until afterwards.

The odd thing is that I have never broken srings before- is this a design fault?

I have towed with my car- caravan to Goodwood- with no problem other than 16MPG, but collected my kit car on a trailer in the summer so wonder if thats what did it

In passing - rear tyres- I am getting through Contis and Bridgestones in around 5k miles- is this my lead foot, (or frightening the local hot hatch), or is this normal? i note Paul's 520 looks to be hard on its rears

Regards

Paul
    Early springs did have a tendency to fail, rear tyres 5 - 6k is not unusual, it's about what I got from my Toyo's and Vredstreins

Loads of info on both topics available when you get your details to Tim and go green
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Francks View Post
    Hi Gang,

Regards

Paul

Paul,

Always had 5k on Conti's, but 7k on Avon ZZ3's. You'd think the Germans might know a thing or two about getting high mileage on ersatz rubber but apparently they don't. Still can't beat a Michelin for mileage (perhaps not road holding) but relatively expensive.

cheers,

Kev