Looking for a MG 260 Cash Buyer

Thread: Looking for a MG 260 Cash Buyer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I suppose a car is worth what someone is prepared to pay, only if you are desperate to sell, though.

Mine is a '55 reg, one owner with less than 20k miles, and has an agreed, guaranteed value of 12k from Peter Best insurance. Agreed by sending a series of photographs. My point is, they must know the replacement value of these cars, and are prepared to stand by their valuation.

It is not a good time for car and property values at the moment, but the best examples will be sought after in years to come. Also, some cars which did not leave the factory as an SE model, have now been fitted with aftermarket and OEM accessories which are far and away better than the originally fitted equipment on the SE. For instance, the Sat Nav was out of date when the car was launched and non-upgradeable. After market DVD based units from Pioneer, Alpine and the like are far superior. Even the later BMW ones can be retro fitted to a 260 which did not have one when it left the factory.

I think some good points have been made on this thread, and condition is starting to vary, compared to when we first started this group, and they were all fairly new and in the same condition.

The rarity value of the 260 is also a point to consider, with only a few hundred of each type ever made. In this way, they stand comparison with S Type Jags, 330s etc. which are much more common.

If someone needs to sell, then they will have to take what someone is prepared to pay, subject to negotiation, but I don't believe that reflects the true value of the 260, which will only become truly apparent in years to come. Precious Metal is right, though. There is still a demand and enthusiasm for powerful cars, regardless of all the media PC twaddle.

I suppose the conclusion is that top and bottom values are really starting to widen and each car has to be valued on its own merit, rather than saying that they are all worth roughly the same.
    Last edited by Phil; 14-07-2009 at 08:34 AM.