Looking for a MG 260 Cash Buyer

Thread: Looking for a MG 260 Cash Buyer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

£6K has to be a trade-in price. The decent ones are unlikely to go much lower surely - they're becoming recognised as collectible, and the supply of suitably mollycoddled cars is steadily reducing.

Good time to buy if you can get one for £7K - it wouldn't be enough to buy mine!

Colin Sparrow, tearful ex-owner...

ZT 260SE

Quote Originally Posted by V8 Novi View Post
    £6K has to be a trade-in price.
    Trade in is much lower, roughly £5-5.5k (if not lower, all depends on what it's getting P/X for)

I have been watching the market for a while, I don't know if it's due to the scaremongering that the media have brainwashed us with this alleged recession - but big disposable income cars have taken a hit.

Obviously if a seller can afford to wait for a certain price fair enough, BUT, if they need to sell - and the buyers aren't knocking the door down, then an offer is better than no offer.

I'll lay my cards, for a Mk1 SE I would say to me personally - £6k cash is tops - Mk2 a bit more (all subject to condition/history etc).

I suppose the old saying is true to a certain extent, "a cars only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay" and at this time, there are not a lot of buyers wanting sub 20mpg, group 20 insurance etc.

(No offence is meant by any of my post, just my personal opinion as a car buyer - I hope I havn't trodden on anyones toes )

I suppose the old saying is true to a certain extent, "a cars only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay" and at this time, there are not a lot of buyers wanting sub 20mpg, group 20 insurance etc.
    I have three people wanting 20mpg, group 20 ins english built V8 engined MG saloons, so the market is there although small for these beasts that are getting rarer and i think now the prices have seen rock bottom and will go back up with time.

if a CAT D MK1 with no history makes over £5,000 then a decent one will certainly make more than £6k privately, and quite rightly so.

AM's car is worth upto £7k privately all day long

JB @ Elite

I am afraid the good ones are few and far between. I paid £10450 15 months ago and I expected the values to drop cica £6k. I also thought the price's would then firm up.

I will not be selling as the car is now promised to my son. He is 14 and would never forgive. Even with no son in the equation if offered more than my £10.4k now I would not sell as I think I would not be able to be assured of a better car for that in the near future. This will be in part down to two factors.

First there are less good ones around and this will become more common due the the current low price and the purchasers ability to maintain the car in top condition.
    Second owners such as myself unwilling to part even when offered top book value +.

This is why my car will be rust proofed later this year at rustmasters to preserve the car for as long as possible.

Therefore 7K seems good value for a good car, if the car is all you want in a car then I would not be too unhappy to increase my offer closer the the asking price. Thats my tuppence worth.

Steve.
    VIN 260 Steve Miller

Quote Originally Posted by mister bountyfull View Post
    I am afraid the good ones are few and far between. I paid £10450 15 months ago and I expected the values to drop cica £6k. I also thought the price's would then firm up.

I will not be selling as the car is now promised to my son. He is 14 and would never forgive. Even with no son in the equation if offered more than my £10.4k now I would not sell as I think I would not be able to be assured of a better car for that in the near future. This will be in part down to two factors.

First there are less good ones around and this will become more common due the the current low price and the purchasers ability to maintain the car in top condition.
    Second owners such as myself unwilling to part even when offered top book value +.

This is why my car will be rust proofed later this year at rustmasters to preserve the car for as long as possible.

Therefore 7K seems good value for a good car, if the car is all you want in a car then I would not be too unhappy to increase my offer closer the the asking price. Thats my tuppence worth.

Steve.

For my tuppence worth - I think Steve's covered it admirably
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Seeing as though tuppences are the order of the day, here goes:

Anything is only worth what someone will pay for it. At the moment there seem to be a steady pool of buyers willing to part with more than £6k for decent examples.

I would think that if any good examples went on the market at £6k they would be snapped up before you could say "future classic".

I also think this is evidenced by people like W88CHY posting on this forum saying they've got cash waiting at below-market £££ - got to get in early if they are going to come up at that sort of price!

W88CHY - maybe you should go for a test drive - my guess would be you'd soon be justifying a little more in the budget! (OK so I'm probably a little biased...)

Ben

(OK so I'm probably a little biased...)

Surely not........
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end