Well hellooo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well hellooo

Quote Originally Posted by pessling View Post
    been inside the cockpit of the one at the midlands museum and yes small. My cousin who is a in the RAF said he would organise something for me to visit as he knows the pilot of XH558, but haven't heard from him yet. The ultimate experience would be a flight.

I used the Vulcan XL 426 at Southend for a photoshoot for one of my bike magazine articles, and also got to visit the cockpit. Access via a ladder under the nose. Extremely cramped for such a huge aircraft.

The guy I felt sorry for was the flight engineer/navigator - just stuck at a control panel with no view of the outside world. Imagine flying one of those all the way to the Falklands and back (all right, with a comfort break at Ascension). Respect for our RAF heroes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colin Sparrow, tearful ex-owner...

Default Welcome Along......

Welcome along..........
    no breaking of 'Net-equete' lol...
    I think Tim was just being freindly and making conversation more than anything

Whats the paint code on the door ?

The springs isn't exactly a 'Common fault', but seems to be fast rising up the list of more common occurences, particularly in the MK1's. the newer springs are better so assuming theres a pair left you should be set
    I think there are plans afoot for trying to arrange a new run from another supplier, but don't know the details...

as Peter said theres plenty of good reading on here , and 95% of it is relevent stuff too :P

Nick
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post

as Peter said theres plenty of good reading on here , and 95% of it is relevent stuff too :P

Nick
    Welcome! - When you get reading just dont get too paranoid Its make note and be preventative
    2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
    2000 MGF 1.8 Steptronic

MG ZT260 SE #171 'The Boat'
    - Gone but not forgotten

Daily Driver:- 2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 TDi Xcellence

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    I believe mine is a mongramme colour not seen another one like it, the door was a tiny shade out so according to the dealer they had to respay the whole car as the lacquor is "prismatic", sounds pretty dangerous to have spikey paint, and way it is a sort of pearlecent blue a bit darker than the Trophy blue
    According to my (incomplete) database, your car is:

Chagall (Special Metallic) IAT

she is the last but one of the Mk1's No.122. I have had her since new, just before MG went.
    As we understand it there were 217 Mark 1s made, however a few of the last ones were facelifted to Mk2 spec (either completely or in part) for use as press cars, demonstrators etc. (known unofficially as Mark 1.5 cars).

You have to be a bit aware of the 'rumour mill', my one is VIN 27 and i heard from a source that VINs 1-26 were hand built to become prototypes, crash cars, development vehicles and Director's cars, meaning mine is the first production vehicle - but i can't confirm this. I've also heard that it was a chassis development vehicle and i know that it was registered to Longbridge and used as a long term test car (MG-Rover put 60K miles on it in 6 months to see what would break/wear out with the intention of developing fixes for all the 260s). I know this last bit for certain as i have found the chap who actually put the miles on the car (he posts on another forum in the non-V8 sections).

Tracking down the history of these rare and very special cars is one of the reasons the Two-Sixties exists and we can be a bit obsessive about the details (not in a scary way!) This is also why i and others hold databases, really for our own interest and to further the group knowledge of these cars.

I've said welcome on a couple of other threads already, but it can't hurt again! Welcome!
    Last edited by Scarlet Fever; 05-06-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Andrew Phillips
    MGF - 'Scarlet Fever'
    ZT 260 - 'Old number 27'
    ZS 180 - aka rolling restoration...

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever View Post
    I've said welcome on a couple of other threads already, but it can't hurt again! Welcome!
    You lot are a friendly bunch

I have found the source of my confusion and that was in an eBay advertisement, refering to how many were retained in the UK and how many were released world wide. Just out of interest how many are abroad?

"I have found the source of my confusion and that was in an eBay advertisement, "

do share?
    Nick

Now heres a fine mess, I am blowed if I can find the advertisment again, search as I might.

Basically I believe it implied that only 260 cars were retained in the UK, turns out to be somewhat misleading On saying that have all your car details regurgitated from a database is nearly alarming. If it weren't for the jovial nature and the almost obsessive interest in these machines then I would have been taken aback.

To me the "Old Rover" was just a self indulgent reward for years of mundain motoring based on my facination with all things "Q" as in "Q-Boats" and therefore "Q-cars". I had no idea there were other people with a similar warped view on life.

Any way yes it is colour code IAT "Char-grilled blue" (Chagall for the pedants ) the best I could do to find out what Chagall actually meant was some Russkie who was a bit handy with the old painting and decorating. I guess they ran out of logical names and just ran with the first random word that came along..

This is the bloke. Apparently he died in 1985 so he couldn't have even painted my car.

Now heres a fine mess, I am blowed if I can find the advertisment again, search as I might.
    No biggie was just an general interest...

This is the bloke. Apparently he died in 1985 so he couldn't have even painted my car.
    Alas No, but maybe one of his decendents???

Nick
    Nick