new owner question - starting noise - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: new owner question - starting noise

Yes, I remember that. It couldn't do any harm. Dig the thread out.

Does this noise sound like a grating noise when you depress the clutch, die off when engine revs are increased and goes away when clutch pedal released. Mine does this it is apparently the Thrust Bearing, where either a little dirt or rust is inside there. It is nothing to worry about. I have talked to Scooter in Dreadnought a couple of times about this.

Seems to be a little worse in cold or damp conditions. Plus! Once the car is at fully operational temp there is no noise any more..

If you get to one of our events such as Brands Hatch at the end of May. Scooter will be there with Paul racing their 500. I'm sure you could dig him out and ask the questions. A lot of us will be there to support the racing and flying the flag for MG.

Max

Max Steele
    No: 167, Mk1 04 Reg SE, X-Power Grey,
    Upgrades: Powerflow Ovals, BBK 78mm TB/Plenum, ACCEL COP's, RAM Air Intake System with Blue Silicon air intake hose with Pipercross Viper reverse-flow air filter system,
    Up-rated Heavy Duty clutch, New Front Discs (back to oem), New rear springs, New front Bilstein shocks, New Rear Discs at 123K, New MG7 rear cluster. lights.
    Twin 7" Headrest screens and DVD player with remote control.
    Worcester Area :cool:

thanks for reply. only happens when car has been sat overnight or has been sat for a few hours - its a constant grating noise that changes pitch /volume with pressing the clutch pedal, only lasts for probably first half mile or so. when warm it goes and when restarted when warm its not evident. no slip in clutch or problems engaging gear or anything like that.

It really isn't a big deal. I've had noisy thrust bearings on a couple of cars in my past and they never caused a problem. They were noisier when damp (or quieter, can't remember which way round)
    A

Taken from the Dreadnought area to keep tidy

Quote Originally Posted by chopper666 View Post
    hello,
    i wonder if you would be able to offer any suggestions as to the issue i am having with my car on start up?
    full post is in public area under same title as above. thanks in advance for any input you may be able to offer

From Richard Brian
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

If the noise changes when you press the clutch it is sounds like the clutch or realease bearing. The Ford system keeps a little pressure on the release bearing all the time. Sounds to me like you have a noisey release bearing. If you have no vibration through the clutch pedal I would not worry about it unless it gets worse, it may just be a bit of dirt in the bearing. If you are at Brands and I have time (no problems with the race car) I will try to have a listen for you.