Hello.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello....

Quote Originally Posted by pessling View Post
    its like the hotel California "you can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave! "
    cool

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Hi and welcome.

Where abouts are you?

colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

The standard tyre is conti contract sport M3, 225/45/18, same as the front tyres used on the previous gen BMW M3, there are better out there like the toyo's although haven't experienced them, but will properly change to them once the conti's have warn out
    Peter Essling

Thanks for all the replies folks - very welcoming. I look forward to getting full access to the site so I can see what you guys get up to.

colintf - I'm in Bromley, Kent.

Malcolmr - how many 260s owners are there in Oz? I saw a nice 385 for sale on the web the other day (was it Queensland?). I'm actually born and raised in Perth; have been in London for coming up to seven years. So my 260 will no doubt one day be destined for the land down under also...

Default Some more questions.....

Well I've spent the evening trawling through the full site (thanks, Tim) and apart from being hugely impressed (and somewhat relieved...) by the knowledge know at my fingertips, I'm also keen to make sure I 'tick a few boxes' before I get too much further into ownership...

I'm wondering if you might assist me with a sort of 'new owner's checklist' of things I need to check and modify if necessary. Based on what I've read tonight, I'll have a go at getting the list started:

1. replace heater hose(s)

Question: is it only one hose that needs replacing? What are the symptoms of a problem (apart from cooking the engine...)? When the hose goes does the coolant leak into the cabin/footwell/engine bay?

2. upgrade radiator fan resistor

Why? (I can see the post(s) recommending this but couldn't find a reason why it needs doing)

3. replace fuel clip

Er...fuel what? I assume this isn't as trivial as it sounds..?!

4. replace pollen filter whilst changing heater hose?

5. upgrade air filter (if necessary?)

Anything else?

Finally, can anyone let me know a specific make/source of suitable coolant? (I vaguely recall going through this exercise for my wife's Rover 25 GTi VVC - pretty sure I got some of the orange Havoline stuff from Texaco).

Thanks again

Ben

heater hose yes, but you shouldn't lose any coolent if it is changed on a cold engine as there will be no pressure in the system, make sure that the flow restrictor is replaced from the old hose, if you don;t have one, i can machine one up for you. the hose can burst more than anything, causing coolent onto the hot engine with lots of steam every where.

fan resistor only needs to be done if you can see one through the bumper, not all cars have it, its more of a precaution to change it, as the original is a little under rated and can fail.

fuel clip is to stop the fuel pump assembly coming apart, early syptoms can be miss firing and lose of power. it secures the two halves together stopping them from coming apart, can also be done using stainless steel screws

yeah pollen filter is easy to change is worth doing whilst heater hose is off, also if available from black olive is to change the heater valve but we are waiting on them

air filter yes, whilst bumper is off resister can be done, and to up grade to the dual horn instead of the single.

check rear springs ensuring they are not broken
    Peter Essling

Hi and welcome, I'm on my second ZT 260 and lurve them. Eventually gave in and had the Kenne Bell Supercharger fitted and now got 413.5 PS. As for tyres, it pays to find a decent tyre supplier/fitter and keep friendly with them, cos you'll be needind to pay regular visits! Maybe as little as 6000 miles on the rears!! The Toyos do seem to last a little longer and I'd certainly use them again. Good luck and happy motoring

1Powerrrack

hi,
    welcome to the group, had mine nearly 2 years still a a great car, people set their watches by my car!!
    Was Supercharged

Was this the one that was on the South Coast?

Yep. Why?