Gear issue

Thread: Gear issue

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gear issue

Hi all,

Have a real issue trying to get into and out of gear.

Possible causes are:-

1. Gearbox
    1a. Bent selection fork
    1b. Weak synchro

2. Clutch
    2a. Warped clutch

3. Clutch hydraulics ( I take it they are fitted?)

Symptoms:-

(a) If engine is started in neutral then it is impossible to select ANY gear. Once engine/gearbox are warm (gearbox oil) then it is possible to select upwards if done slowly but it is very notchy. Impossible to change down unless at a virtual stop and, again, it improves when gearbox oil is warm but first gear remains virtually impossible unless many, many oaths have been issued over a great period of time.

I have to start in-gear. I press the clutch down - which should give a neutral state - but the car will move as the clutch (for whatever reason) is not freed. It is not possible to take it out of gear unless the engine is switched off.

(b) Clutch pedal travel is poor - my guess is it only starts to become effective over the last inch or so.

My feeling is hydraulics with warped clutch second as these symptoms started at only 20k miles. Is the vehicle fitted with a master and slave?

I read that Dreadnought had fitted a ZF box. Does anyone know the model/type? Did they fit clutch uprated facing material or left the original in?

Any ideas or thoughts gratefully received as I would prefer to replace the part causing the problem rather than renew all three.

regards,

Kev
    Last edited by torque2me; 19-10-2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Vital info missing