R75 V8 Misfire / Running like a pig when hot

Thread: R75 V8 Misfire / Running like a pig when hot

Default R75 V8 Misfire / Running like a pig when hot

Hi All

New member so please be gentle...

I have just purchased my 5th Rover 75, the latest being my 2nd v8, I guess that makes me an enthusiast. However, my 04 75 v8 that I have just purchased runs fine while cold and under normal conditions but following a trip through London yesterday it started to run like a pig in heavy traffic (to the point I nearly fumbled around for my breakdown cover card). The temp gauge did not register abnormal temp and I could hear the fan cutting in and out but undoubtably once I got going again everything seemed better albeit not perfect until I started again this morning from cold. It ticks over warm at around 500 but this varies a lot but from cold it's what I would expect a constant 1k or there abouts.

Not sure what the cause can be, I did think coils but I am no mechanic, it's only done 28k.

Thanks for reading and Help!

Chris

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

We've all had a bit of that - get's a little warm under the bonnet sir. Once you get going again it tends to disappear. Become a full member and you will learn many things young Skywalker.
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

Fuel evaporation, coils, plugs perhaps,
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Ex-Mod, RIP

WELCOME

My immediate thought is overheating under the bonnet,

Remove the sound deadening heat retaining carpet under the lid.

When you're Green (full member)you can access this lot:

(Lists of your brothers and sisters)

List of 001 to 883

Locations
    Location Map

Estates

Supercharged Cars

Car Names

Rolling Road Results

Past & Future Events

Technical Index

The SHOP

ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by clynch26 View Post
    Hi All

New member so please be gentle...

I have just purchased my 5th Rover 75, the latest being my 2nd v8, I guess that makes me an enthusiast. However, my 04 75 v8 that I have just purchased runs fine while cold and under normal conditions but following a trip through London yesterday it started to run like a pig in heavy traffic (to the point I nearly fumbled around for my breakdown cover card). The temp gauge did not register abnormal temp and I could hear the fan cutting in and out but undoubtably once I got going again everything seemed better albeit not perfect until I started again this morning from cold. It ticks over warm at around 500 but this varies a lot but from cold it's what I would expect a constant 1k or there abouts.

Not sure what the cause can be, I did think coils but I am no mechanic, it's only done 28k.

Thanks for reading and Help!

Chris
    Hi and welcome Chris

colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

when you were stuck in the traffic - did you switch off at all and restart? because pretty much all cars will then run a little rough due to heat soak evapourating the fuel.

Otherwise - yes it could be a coil pack breaking down but unless you're unlucky that would normally tend to be one cylinder at a time rather than general misfiring and poor running.

Idle at 1000rpm is too high though - even from cold or soon after, it'll settle below that and eventually sit at around 600-650 rpm at idle (or should do).

I think keep using the car in general driving and see if its a repeat general problem or only happens when car fully warmed up and then stuck for a while in stop start traffic situations.

As mentioned, removing the under bonnet insulation does help a little with heat dissipation.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Thanks for all of the posts so far on this,

Looks like I will remove the insulation from under the bonnet and see how i go. I didnt stop the car and restart while in traffic for fear of not getting it going again, i knocked it in and out of drive as i stopped and started for fear of it stalling while stationary. Incidentally the exterior temp displayed was much higher the real temp outside and i suspect this was due to the tropical conditions under the bonnet.

I would describe the car when hot and on tick over as 'hunting', with the engine going from barely running to around 500 rpm and back again.

Ive had this problem, when I was stuck on the M27, car was very lumpy whilst edging along in the traffic but once going it cleared up and I was treated to a massive wave of heat emminating from the dash board

Does removing the insulation make the car much noisier?

Yep that's it, i had to put the air con on cold, i did think its was rather odd in mid Nov!

I wondered about the noise also, i guess i will find out soon enough