Asking Too Much? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asking Too Much?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by jenksman View Post
    I'd like to know where this character keeps his full size spare wheel, on the back seat? The LPG bullet tank in my car takes up most of the boot space and is only 40 litres.
    Also his claims of a possible 50 mpg equivalent are a little absurd and can be challenged by the figures quoted in his own ad.
    I'm telling Granny etc. when I remind you that LPG at 69p per litre might be half the cost of petrol at £1.37 but that doesn't mean you can double up on your mpg reurn because the LPG is less efficient
    Dave
    Agree - I get about 30 mpg with my V6 190, if I'm careful, on petrol and about 22 mpg on gas, which equates to around 42mpg, so I would suspect 50 mpg from a V8 coupled with an 'enthusiastic' driver would be lucky to achieve 30 overall?

I'd be interested to know what other 260 LPG users have found so I can start saving up for when I find my Unicorn!

Hi again
    I've only had my LPG 260 since May so my experience is limited, best result ever equates to about 30 mpg(equivalent). I buy my LPG at 66p/litre
    But it's not so easy to measure this equivalent mpg because my car starts up on petrol and switches to LPG after a mile or so
    IMHO to get a true result one would have to monitor consumption of both fuels. Since the quantity of petrol is small compared with LPG this would not be so easy to do (you don't really, for reasons of economy want to be driving around with a full tank of petrol so you can't use the usual method of "topping up" the tank to see how much you've used)
    It should also be remembered that sometimes it's not possible to find LPG, or when you do you may have to pay more for it eg. 79p/litre at my nearest motorway outlet.
    Whenever people are asked to quote mileage figures there is always a tendency to exagerate. For my own part I know that my LPG car is much easier on the pocket than my previous standard 260. A lot of my driving is done on short runs in a hilly area for which I reckon anything better than 23/24mpg (equivalent) would be a bonus. The figure of 30mpg I quoted above was a one of and I probably exagerated, it certainly didn't include an allowance for the petrol used.
    By the way I did not buy the car because it had an LPG conversion, and I don't think it cost me any more because of this. The fact that it had the conversion was just a slight bonus which I coming to enjoy
    Dave

Dave

Yes, my experience is similar, although I've got timing fill-ups to a fine art now and rarely get caught out these days. After 120, 000 miles of LPG motoring, aside from a few Reducer problems, (as I write, my LPG man is sourcing a K&N filter to change some things around and stop the feed from freezing) I've rarely done less than 42mpg equivalent. I tend to keep about a tenner of petrol in the tank for starting up. I guess that might need to be nearer £20 for a 260 though!

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

when I was commuting a fair distance, 40-50 miles each way, some in heavy traffic, but when moving, 85-90mph, I used to average on LPG 16 to 17 real MPG, which based on the % price it was of petrol, I equated to roughly 30MPG, and I was quite happy with that though always felt it ought to have been getting more like 18-20 real mpg.

I did account for the 5-10 miles per tank I did on petrol and subtracted this from the odo per tank ful of LPG to get a fair result.

Now I am doing short commutes and very slow stop start traffic all the way (7.5 miles takes me 40 minutes!) I only get real MPG of around 12-13mpg using the same calculation method, which equates to only around 23mpg petrol equivalent.

I still feel though that I am saving good money relative to petrol-only, and my equiv lpg results compare favourably to the previous 3-litre bmws I have had, which returned similar petrol figures as the lpg equiv on my 260, so given the bigger V8 I think that's reasonable!
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2V8s View Post
    Now I am doing short commutes and very slow stop start traffic all the way (7.5 miles takes me 40 minutes!)
    Sounds like you need to get a push-bike - it would be quicker and you'd got much better mpg!
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    Sounds like you need to get a push-bike - it would be quicker and you'd got much better mpg!
    Yip, that distance will take about 30 mins on a bike with a bit of practice and without being super fit...

Once you get fit and you dont stop at the lights you could do it in less than 20 mins!

Quote Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
    Won't make the same noise though...............you could try the old 'cigarette card pegged to the spokes' trick I suppose

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

gents. you're preaching to the converted.

Last summer I bought myself a Scott Sportster P3 hybrid bike, with hydraulic disc brakes and front shock, yet still quite light weight. I do use it to cycle to work, on average 2-3 times a week, and have so far clocked up 2500 miles on it.

But in bad weather, and Nov to Feb when the nights draw in (as cycling around here is too dangerous in the dark!) then its the gas-guzzler!

And you're spot on. It takes me 30 mins +/- 5 mins or so depending on wind direction, traffic and luck of lights/junctions. On average, it is 10 mins quicker than the car except during holidays when the car is 5-10 mins quicker.
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P

Shot Silk & Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by 2V8s View Post
    Last summer I bought myself a Scott Sportster P3 hybrid bike
    Hybrid bike? Is that a tandem - sometimes you pedal and sometimes the other person pedals?

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

haha, well I wish that was the case, then I could rest up during the journey!

No, its a kind of mountain bike / road bike cross. It has larger 28" wheels like a road bike, with semi-slick style tyres but their mid width (between road bike and mountain bike) for balance of less friction but some off road grip. Has a mountain bike style frame and riding position.

Typical mountain bike - 16kg
    typical road bike / racer - 11kg
    My bike - 13.5kg
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P