Insurance woes!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance woes!!

thanks for the advice guys. i have just looked on temporary insurance cover sites (to cover me going to test drive one) and the youngest i can be to be covered is 23 so i guess i'm out of the loop for another 8 months :/ still i guess it will give me more time to save to cover for fully comp insurance.

£1500 to me was reasonable because at the age of 17 i acquired a brand new kia picanto 1.0 (which i still have as my daily driver) and i was paying £1800 on it then as it was a "new car and new driver" (it only cost £4995 to buy!). On the other hand, i also have a classic mini cooper sport 500 which does little mileage a year (only goes out in fine weather) and that is insured for £330 per year *shrugs* lol the comment bout the banks/ cowboys made me laugh

Stick your mum on your policy as a named driver, usually helps a little. Also consider doing pass plus and/or IAM if you haven't already. My best 260 quote is around £1300 but then I've had a bump that was own fault which doesn't help and I'm 27 with 7+ years of no claims. Insurance is always creeping up though, my cover on my IS200 went up £95 for no reason the last renewal.
    Being under 30 sucks hard for anything tasty to drive.
    Last edited by Scourge_151; 12-11-2011 at 03:58 PM.

It's sucky for all Of us I'm afraid. Not helped by vandals, theives and the uninsured. Mind you. The insurance companies are the biggest bunch of pirates this side of tortuger.
    Chris Barrett..
    Sunny Melton Mowbray by the sea

THE MAN WHO INVENTED THE WHEEL WAS AN IDIOT!

Now, the man who invented the other three, he was a genius.

wouldn't say its that bad, i was insuring my 260 for about £800 before i sold it, and my cerbera is around the same, 11 years no claims. what does suck is that my 11 year old jeep with 108k on it has to be insured using completely new no claims as you can't use now claims on two cars, although did managed to get the insurance company to match them which brought it down.
    Peter Essling

Just renewed with NFU Mutual, Myself and Wife as nameddrivers. Fully comp, protected NCD, £250 excess plus £100high performance excess, No mileage limit but I told them 3k, coveredsocial, domestic and pleasure purposes and commuting. Use by any entitleddriver for the policy holders business and use other than the policyholdersbusiness.
    Exclusions: commercial traveling, racing, speed testing, competition, rallies (other than treasure hunts) track days, hire orreward, or for any purpose in connection with the motor trade.
    Allfor the sum of £498.48 plus insurance premium tax.

I probably helps that I have max no claims and live in a semi rural area, It maybe that reaching the age of 53 helps. The NFU also have a sliding discount depending on how many years you have held a policy with them.

When I tried a comparison web site only one firm would entertain me at £1,700 !

Both the MGB's are insured with Peter Best.

No. 64 MG 260SE

Mine is due in December and got a renewal of £210.09 yesterday. Bummer! The woman in the film Fried Green Tomatoes comes to mind
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Mine is due in December and got a renewal of £210.09 yesterday. Bummer! The woman in the film Fried Green Tomatoes comes to mind
    Mary Stuart Masterson?

Kathy Bates outside the supermarket saying to two young people that the damage to her car was going to be a lot cheaper than theirs due to her age.

Quote Originally Posted by Coasting View Post
    Mary Stuart Masterson?
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

Well I abandoned Admiral who attempted to rip me off on my renewal again, and as you all know I dont rate them when it comes to a claim!

The good news was I reinsured with Direct Line (by the way, Churchill is same company it seems!) as a 2nd policy as wife is with Direct line now also.

My policy was £446, compared to Admirals reneewal quote of £900 odd (was 700 last year).

So i'm chuffed - and the LPG didnt affect the premium at all.

Just to mention, Direct line have an introductory 10 months for price of 12 so you get a further discount which does seem to have made a difference, and then 10% off for having a 2nd car insured with them. Thumbs up so far
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Flukely got on peter best insurance just before they increased minimum age to 30. Paying around... umm... under 600. cant remember. 480? Previously was with elephant/admiral. They wanted 1100 this year after coming down to about 800 before the changes.

Oh, and I've easily paid for a supercharger in insurance in the 7 years I've been insured....
    Ian