INSPECTION of CAR for SALE - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: INSPECTION of CAR for SALE

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic22 View Post
    Not sure if LPG is a factor in purchase. But a while ago a member on here was selling a 75 V8 which was also on ebay. Silver low mileage 40000ish and all stuff done. Although it finished on eBay I am not sure if it sold, I don't think it did, will try and find who it was. That would be a great car as was really looked after.
    Styles, me thinks... think he sold it in the end

Shot Silk & Supercharged

There are so many things that can cause the engine management light to be on, misfire from faulty coils is a possibility but a code reader is an essential purchase with so many cylinders and can help nail down a lot of issues really quickly.

As an LPG runner I had problems with running a little lean on LPG causing the light to come on but was fixed with a little increase in gas pressure (easy to adjust but best to get professional advice on it if you're not sure).

As for replacement coils I have fitted the MSD blaster coils as they are supposed to be better for LPG but I'm not to sure if it really has made a huge difference.

My engine light was also constantly on and the fault codes pointed to a faulty o2 sensor which I have now replaced,I have been told lpg is hard on o2 sensors so hope I have now cured the problem.

MAJOR
    Both rear springs broken - have been told they're Rimmer part no RKB000820 and available at 248.87/pair. I can't find them on Rimmer's website
    [COLOR="blue"]Springs are different on the 75 than on the ZT. Sometimes up on ebay
    Not sure the springs are different, but the dampers are, we're sourcing replacement springs through the club shop at the moment

Diff pinion oil seal needs replacing
    Not really a problem, Linden can do that or Nick at Austing done a few
    Agree, common fault easily rectified, Dreadnought Garage in Scotland hold the seal in stock

Engine management light is on - owner says has has been on all the time he's had car and understands it is due to LPG being fitted
    Properly installed it shouldn't flag the management light (possibly running lean now)

Linden thought there was a misfire and possibly a coil needed replacing. Can't find coils on Rimmers - available??
    Standard Ford V8 Coil Packs for the Mustang (www.rockauto.com or www.realsteel.co.uk)
    or I have some used ones for sale in the club shop

MINOR/CONSUMABLES
    Wheels ('star' alloys) need refurb - 60each seems to be usual cost
    Front pads (don't know if/when disks have been replaced
    Readily available and we will have a source of discounted EBC parts (more to be announced soon)
    Needs front tyres
    n/s/f ball joint
    Again try Dreadnought or Nick at Austins can provide modified lower arms
    twisted brake hose
    loose headlamp, foglamp not working, brake light out
    Normal good service to sort these out

As far as I know it hasn't has the heater valve and hose upgrade or the fuel pump clip fitted.
    Should be done ASAP
    If you go for I can supply valve and hose from the club shop, I've a spare clip in stock (personal stock)

Should I be concerned about major items which have not been repaired or replaced but which could fail in near future due to age/mileage?? :

Exhaust come up on ebay and aftermarket can be sourced
    coils Standard mustang available from US and upgrades also available
    a/c compressorWe have a recon service in place or new from US
    fan motor
    shock absorbers
    front disks
    Not more than with any other car

and finally, does LPG need servicing regularly? Owner has no service records for the system
    Yes
    I know nowt about LPG but we've a resident expert on here who, I'm sure, will be along to comment
    Last edited by ColinE; 14-10-2011 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Typo
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

All black, black, black. bernard lpg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3disco View Post
    I have been told lpg is hard on o2 sensors
    This is not my finding though. Sounds like 'pub talk'

Quote Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post

and finally, does LPG need servicing regularly? Owner has no service records for the system
    Yes
    Don't agree. With the Romano, leave well alone. Except that the system cannot access the Ford fuel trims so it needs an occasional tweak to prevent the trim going out of range. You can do this yourself.
    Bernard Lovegrove. Rural Worcestershire.

Quote Originally Posted by bernard lpg View Post

Don't agree. With the Romano, leave well alone. Except that the system cannot access the Ford fuel trims so it needs an occasional tweak to prevent the trim going out of range. You can do this yourself.
    How would you know the fuel trim is out, and what would be the right way to adjust?
    Could this fuel-trim issue cause the management light to come on?

I agree, loads of work can be done yourself on lpg-systems, but the same goes for normal engines. Nevertheless, a periodic check by a qualified person can't do any harm.
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by bernard lpg View Post

As i thought - the resident expert has commented
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Thanks to all for your replies - wealth of knowledge and personal experiences pouring forth.
    As all the items needed now are readily available I can now consider making an offer.
    Have been following sales/prices of ZT260's and 75 V8's for a while - think it's worth about 6k with items sorted using recent sales or 5k "as is".
    Have seen posts re 2 75's sold by dealers, to club members, 1 was 4,995 and other was I think 5,200 ish - both lower mileage and needed no work but neither had LPG.
    'gjt' could not sell his LPG 260SE 35,000 miles for 7,000 earlier this year. I recall he removed the LPG and sold separately
    While the LPG is attractive, the annual mileage I'll be doing will be low (likely 3k max 5 weekends and occasional long trip) so saving on petrol costs will be low and not the major factor if I was using it as for my daily drive and clocking up 15 to 20k per year. I appreciate a new installation is 2k+ but the benefit has been enjoyed, and cost recovered, by the owner who has clocked up 65,000 miles using it.
    Not trying to 'steal' the car but doing my best to establish market value in a very strange and confused financial world (that could open up a new thread on how the country/world ended up in this mess!!)
    Thanks again for all your advice and will keep you posted on purchase.
    Looking forward to becoming a full member!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ColinE View Post
    MAJOR
    Both rear springs broken - have been told they're Rimmer part no RKB000820 and available at 248.87/pair. I can't find them on Rimmer's website
    Springs are different on the 75 than on the ZT. Sometimes up on ebay
    Not sure the springs are different, but the dampers are, we're sourcing replacement springs through the club shop at the moment
    Strangely Rimmers lists both springs and shocks to be identical on 75 and ZT
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

I think the springs are the same but the shocks different; MG are yellow and Rover are black and slightly softer