Starting issues

Thread: Starting issues

Default Starting issues

hey guys, I wonder if you can help me out?

Returned to the car after a couple of weeks and it wouldn't start, enough power to open the doors and for the internal lights but not to start it.

Charged the battery overnight (until my charger said it was "full") but no change. Try to start the car and the battery light flashes on and off and the car makes a constant click.

Swapped the battery (which I know is fine) out of another vehicle (5.0L mustang) and this time no flashing battery on the dash but clicking again and the headlights coming on when I try to start the car - why would the headlights come on? Anyway, still no joy

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

The lights flash to tell you the power is not enough to fire up the engine. Looking at the engine bay to your right just past the fuse box is the earth strap, make sure it has a good earth. Also be 100% about the battery as the car does eat them.

Why are you still blue
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

starter relay?
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Wow, that was quick!

The headlights flash to say insufficient power? or the dash lights going on and off? or both?
    battery that I used to test works fine in it's original car, although it's not a sophisticated piece of kit!

I feel a bit blue...

Yep, flash to tell you the power is going tits up. Best thing is to check in order of ease. Battery, earth, starter, alternator, satnav in the back, short sunroof outlets tipping water into the body control unit (but you would have had other symptoms)

Being green would allow you to investigate the threads around power issues. moooohahahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Manx 260 View Post
    Wow, that was quick!

The headlights flash to say insufficient power? or the dash lights going on and off? or both?
    battery that I used to test works fine in it's original car, although it's not a sophisticated piece of kit!

I feel a bit blue...
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Cheers, will investigate further.

that was a decent evil laugh, good work.

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

also check battery connections are nice and tight after changing the battery.

Also try disconecting it for a while.

did you try charging the battery with it still connected in the car and / or jump start? its possible the former could have sent the elctrics haywire, they may be resetable by leaving the battery disconnected for 10 mins.

other than that, sounds like the voltage is too low on the battery(s) you're trying to use. Or maybe you have a short circuit somewhere?
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Brand spanking new battery and a fiddle with the earth and we are back in business!

Many thanks to all for your help

Ah the power of the collective

Glad it's all sorted
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end