I have just bought an accident damaged V8 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have just bought an accident damaged V8

Welcome to greeness Matt, let me have the remaining details once you have them.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

well there's a few of us on here that have taken on repairs to save one of these cars, including myself, though not nearly as bad as that.

do you think it needs a subframe?

Ime sure I recall seeing a complete rear "stuff up unit" a while back. Could be a good option if you can find one.

Good luck with it! mechanical bits are easy if you can find them. Its the bodywork thats the hard bit IMO.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

I agree regarding the bodywork being harder but I don't think it will be a problem, Don't think it will need a subframe, I get the car tomorrow, can't wait, when I know exactly what im going to need i'll be back on here im sure for advice and maybe sourcing a few parts as well, of course, the real fun starts when the cars back to former glory!

I can see getting this rear trailing arm being a problem unless ColinE has one and is willing to sell it, I think I'll send a hopeful PM now.

Sorry forgot to welcome you along

I'll sort out the traiing arm next weekend (11th June) from it's storage in Dorset and work out postage

If you find you need a subframe - I have one of those too

Need to raise some cash to secure the future of #456 so a few bits may be coming up for sale
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Quote Originally Posted by reeder139 View Post
    I agree regarding the bodywork being harder but I don't think it will be a problem, Don't think it will need a subframe, I get the car tomorrow, can't wait, when I know exactly what im going to need i'll be back on here im sure for advice and maybe sourcing a few parts as well, of course, the real fun starts when the cars back to former glory!

I can see getting this rear trailing arm being a problem unless ColinE has one and is willing to sell it, I think I'll send a hopeful PM now.
    354 is now safely on its way to Matt, after something of a stressfull time getting it loaded onto a recovery truck and a very close call to our young apple tree! In the end a bit of V8 grunt came to the rescue of a very distressed electric winch . I know that Matt will give it his best shot as to whether the car can be saved and if the worst comes to the worst he knows that there's a new bodyshell just along the road from him!!
    Tony Dennis
    I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues.

Hi Matt - how are things going?
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Hi Colin

Not too great to be honest. Really struggling to find a company that can Jig the car. Various companies have had a look then gone away and said no for various reasons.

I've arranged for a company with a different type of machine to come and see the car and they are confident from the photos that they can do it but they can't come out until January now so another delay sadly.

I've had all the parts I need for ages now and the front end is completely rebuilt, the car actually drives but it needs jigging and obviously all the the body work!

Thats real bad news, I seem to remember you getting your damaged V8 around the same time I bought my non damaged one, hopefully your New Year will bring better luck to you fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Terry; 20-12-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: missed out a word.