Things to look for... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things to look for...

That's two of us in St Albans now - they're becoming positively common

According to the advert it's VIN 311, which ties in with information elsewhere on this forum.
    Former owner of VIN 878 Rio Red
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/StephenL/zt-2][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-uk/44945.png[/IMG][/URL]

Shot Silk & Supercharged

Good man enjoy

#597-Xpower Grey Rover V8 gadget's Avatar

Welcome to the fold

I had the same insurance issue. Brought my car while half way through an admiral insurance policy - they only charged me £32 extra from my original 2.5 X type which I traded in on the 75 V8, I let it run to the end as it was less hassle and got me on the road. But and its a big BUT..when I checked the value it was market value and around the £2500 to £3000 mark. Upon renewal they loaded it big time to almost 2 x the original price and when I pushed on the value, they still insisted the market value was £2700 and dropping.

I went to Peter Best and got an agreed value of £8000 plus breakdown etc. for less than the wife's 1 litre Chevrolet Matiz !!

You just need to consider that on classic/collectors insurance you can not use you no claims discount which, if not used for 2 years you loose and the maximum mileage a year is limited to 5000 miles.

I am also just down the road from you in Luton, I think Beds and Hearts seems to be the place to be with a 260 / R75 - all we need to do now is get Brown and Gammon's to start giving us a group discount

Not had any major faults with mine and its a MK 2 so you should be able to ignore the sunroof drains - rear springs etc.

As to issues not generally noticed when buying:-

Check the locking wheel nuts - they get over tightened and the key wears.
    Door cables in the rear seem a bit prone to breaking - door opens from the outside but not from the inside.
    Fixings for the undertray are missing - easily replaced and helps you keep that undertray!
    Flat tyre repair cans out of date!
    Misting of windscreen due to pollen filter requiring a change and the drain below stuffed, gets the filter wet and gives you a musty smell in the cabin.
    Main air filter not changed - its a front bumper off job and some garages just don't bother..
    Also due to the age, the heater valve might not be working efficiently, its a cheap and nasty item - the shop has a Black Olive replacement that should fix that issue, 1st job I did on mine and also when I noticed the pollen filter was a block of encrusted muck and bucket of leaves sitting in the drain! Easy enough job to do with a good how to instruction on the 260 site
    Gary
    Bedfordshire

Cars:
    1973 MG Midget 1275cc
    2005 Rover 75 V8

MODs:
    V8 - Mod to Fan Resistor, Fuel clip, Heating valve and heater hose. Added Real wood dash, Walnut trims, Rear sun blind, Rover custom mats, Double Din touch screen SatNav, Reversing Camera, Sub woofer, Tyre pressure monitor, Twin horns and blue interior boot lights.
    MG - Electronic ignition, carb filters. Added Radio console, Walnut Dash, heated seats, WindBreak, sound proofing, hidden radio and speakers, gauge and alarm.