Collected new car...few questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collected new car...few questions

Default Collected new car...few questions

Hello all.

Collected my car yesterday (no 436) from Summit Garage (John Newey) and I absolutely love it however on my long run home I came across a few problems.

Firstly the plastic chrome door opener surround thingy fell off on the passenger door as I went over a speed bump...is it possible to get a new one?

The electric mirror switch doesn't adjust the mirrors to the left, I can move them every other way just not left.

The battery light kept flickering. At first I thought it was my imagination as its very quick, less than a second before its on and off again. It does this all the time and John assured me its one of those things and everyones car does it and its nothing to worry about.

The throttle pedal is quite stiff to press, anyway of making it lighter?

Lastly the clutch...the pedal is stiff to press in and the biting point is quite low on the pedal. I did have this problem when I bought my CDTi although it was a lot stiffer but after 6,000 miles or so it stopped going into first and reverse gears, end result was a new slave cylinder and clutch which was a gearbox out job but I understand that on these its an engine out job. Am I likely to have a clutch problem or is a stiff pedal considered normal? It does make it uncomfortable to drive around town and when I got home I have to admit I was kinda glad to be in the diesel again as its now so smooth since it was repaired and a lot easier on my leg

Can't think of anything else at the moment, everything else seems to be fine, just hope the things above are nothing to worry about.

Thanks,

Kris.

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

hmmmm, well, not sure what bit you mean on the door, this sounds unusual. Would be same as standard ZT parts though I would think. Try Rimmer Bros on the web.

electric mirror - I have this problem Sometimes if I turn it back the other way fully then it will return the way I want it to. not sure if this is a TADTS. Again, std ZT / R75 I would think

flicking light - there is a glitch that flashesd a red light every so often, but I didnt think this was the battery light? check battery and alternator connections, otherwise I dont know about this one!

Throttle pedal - the cables can get stiff over time. they are not cheap - think the club shop or someone on the forum had a source or batch of them? check the return spring on the throttle body moves freely though to be sure of its the cable or not.

lastly clutch - they are quite stiff anyway. but if the biting point is really low, but there is a bit of free travel at the top, then there may be a hydraulic issue, air in there or something. Otherwise, its probably ok.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

#597-Xpower Grey Rover V8 gadget's Avatar

Hi Chris. Others will be able to tell you more about the manual box - I have an auto.

Firstly the flickering dash lights both oil and battery are normal, TADS - 'they all do that sir'

Throttle - run some oil down the cable. New ones turn up now and then on eBay, consensus is they wear possibly due to heat in the engine bay.

Chrome surround standard 75 item and an easy fix

Lastly the door mirrors sounds like a broken cable probably best to start at the link from the door to the pillar, might just be a loose connector into the back of the door switch as it affects both mirrors
    Gary
    Bedfordshire

Cars:
    1973 MG Midget 1275cc
    2005 Rover 75 V8

MODs:
    V8 - Mod to Fan Resistor, Fuel clip, Heating valve and heater hose. Added Real wood dash, Walnut trims, Rear sun blind, Rover custom mats, Double Din touch screen SatNav, Reversing Camera, Sub woofer, Tyre pressure monitor, Twin horns and blue interior boot lights.
    MG - Electronic ignition, carb filters. Added Radio console, Walnut Dash, heated seats, WindBreak, sound proofing, hidden radio and speakers, gauge and alarm.

Hi Kris - and welcome

Agree with 2V8's comments, though the flashing battery light is a common issue, you'll find the battery and oil light do it, it's an issue caused by a comms problem between the various ecu's - mine does it all the time, another member put it quite nicely as it's just the car's way of telling you its still alive

On the throttle cable we are looking a sourcing replacements as they are an item that seems to cause problems and is increasingly difficult to find new, we are in the early stages however.
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Hi thanks for the quick reply. The door piece I mean is the plastic chrome circular surround on the inside and would be the same as any 75 ZT. The clips are broke and looks like it was just set in place.

Yes its definitely the battery light that flashes, girlfriend spotted it too. I'll get a mechanic to have a look at this.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the return spring or indeed the throttle body :lol: Its not that bad just stiffer than what I'm used to.

The clutch bites quite low and has a good bit of free travel at the top as well. What would be the best way to rule out a hydraulic problem?

Thanks again.

Further 2 replies since I posted my reply to 2V8s

Thanks for putting my mind at ease about the flickering light, haven't seen the oil one come on yet though.

Colin - Thats great that you are trying to source new parts, keep me updated on the throttle cables if you don't mind

On the door handle surround, both mine have broken like this and my cheap fix is a little hot melt glue on the inside of the chrome frame then push it back on. this is strong enough to hold it in place but you can still get it off in needed. Not too much glue though.
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

I can confirm battery light (other lights) flickering and this is normal.

Re the pedals, yes the throttle pedal can be stiff and the clutch heavy and low too, I think this might be normal?

When going for full throttle I really have to push the pedal hard, think they are just heavy?

ETA would like to see some pics of the car, I thought about the one you have when I got mine, but was put off by the black wheels, does it still have them?

The chrome surrounds break if some ham fisted person removes the door card incorrectly..
    Fix for the flickering light is to buy a Supercharger as that runs the alternator in reverse , cheaper fix might be to replace the belt tensioner.

Throttle cables go dry and get gritty to operate also correct routing makes a big difference.

Clutch is very heavy, best way to check for anything unusual would be to compare to another car.
    I did 200 Miles around some of Snowdonias finest roads yesterday, clutch and left leg got quite a workout
    Keith Alexander, Ellesmere, Shropshire UK,

as far as the door handle chrome is concerned. you can buy them only as a complete part ie with the handle, as the chrome bit is heat welded to the handle. so the glue option is the easiest option. as has been said already.

regarding the mirror motors. i did not know that cos my left one does not work well. ill have the back off to see if any cables have become detached. cheers.
    Chris Barrett..
    Sunny Melton Mowbray by the sea

THE MAN WHO INVENTED THE WHEEL WAS AN IDIOT!

Now, the man who invented the other three, he was a genius.