HELP Rear Springs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP Rear Springs

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Francks View Post
    Hi Colin- many thanks

The phone call has been made and they are now checking- fingers crossed.

If yours has been round Le Mans try these:-

Mallory = done!
    Curborough sprint Nr Lichfield
    Goodwood = on my list to do
    Donington = done!
    Cadwell

It helps being a Marshal!

Regards

Paul
    Hi Paul, good luck withteh scrapper!!

Mallory = done!
    Goodwood = on my list to do
    Donington = done!

colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

The club is holding a new rear set for £220 plus postage for any member who is desperate.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Hi Everyone

I'm Paul anf have just joined your forum. But I am in trouble big time and really need your help

I have had my 54 plated Mark 1 260 since buying it at the factory clearance from the receivers with 21 miles on the clock- it now has over 50k!

My problem? try two broken rear springs. Now the big issue- I cannot find any replacements- not even from the on line breakers.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, we have a set available through the club shop - be quick as I may need them myself

Get your questionnaire and MGOC number through to Tim and you'll have access to the whole site and a wealth of info on these great cars - as well as the great stuff I have in the shop
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Have some s/h ones. Found them at thr factory a couple of weeks ago.

Default help Rear springs

Hi Gang,

Good news- The MGOC will supply and fit the springs - £380 fitted so booked it in on Friday- sorry Tim but I didn't see your post until afterwards.

Told these are being made to order so fingers crossed they work.

The odd thing is that I have never broken srings before- is this a design fault?

I have towed with my car- caravan to Goodwood- with no problem other than 16MPG, but collected my kit car on a trailer in the summer so wonder if thats what did it

Either way we should have another 260 on the road shortly!

In passing - rear tyres- I am getting through Contis and Bridgestones in around 5k miles- is this my lead foot, (or frightening the local hot hatch), or is this normal? i note Paul's 520 looks to be hard on its rears

Regards

Paul

Springs are a common fault on the earlier type of spring and 5000 miles for rear tyres is not uncommon so it all seems perfectly normal to me.
    Keith Vinten
    Mk 1 Tourer in X-Power Grey
    VIN 197
    No mods but I can dream

Hi Gang,

Good news- The MGOC will supply and fit the springs - £380 fitted so booked it in on Friday- sorry Tim but I didn't see your post until afterwards.

Told these are being made to order so fingers crossed they work.

The odd thing is that I have never broken srings before- is this a design fault?

I have towed with my car- caravan to Goodwood- with no problem other than 16MPG, but collected my kit car on a trailer in the summer so wonder if thats what did it

Either way we should have another 260 on the road shortly!

In passing - rear tyres- I am getting through Contis and Bridgestones in around 5k miles- is this my lead foot, (or frightening the local hot hatch), or is this normal? i note Paul's 520 looks to be hard on its rears

Regards

Paul
    Early springs did have a tendency to fail, rear tyres 5 - 6k is not unusual, it's about what I got from my Toyo's and Vredstreins

Loads of info on both topics available when you get your details to Tim and go green
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Default springs

Wise Ones,

see my previous pleas for help, just bought a rear pair from Rimmers (Feb) for my pride and joy (54 plate with 45k miles) on cllock for £198 + Vat for the pair. If you want pricey, ask them about rear discs !,

regards
    MG ZT 260 #255

Yep - their disc prices are crazy, thats one advantage of being a full member on here, you get access to the club shop where we have discs available at 50% of Rimmers prices

Default HELP Rear Springs

Good news!

The rear spring were replaced at the MGOC workshop on Thursday for £474 including pre check and MOT. Only difference I can feel is that the rear end now feels slightly softer, but not by much. With the car now legal I can enjoy it on the road

Paul