260 parts availability
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 260 parts availability

Default 260 parts availability

Hi all,
    I was considering buying an Mg zt 260 se from elite car in Hampshire. ( the black 04 mark 2).
    However, after discussing it with my local Mg mechanic, he suggested that upkeep would be VERY costly, due to the availability of parts as so few were made, and due to the fact that they are made up of hybrid parts from Ford, Rover and BMW.
    Any considered thought on this matter would be appreciated.
    I currently have a 190 SE and love the MG!

No 317 Oh yes and some greeners's Avatar

Welcome along....

Not strictly true regarding parts...90% are bog standard MG Rover, 8% are Ford,a and about 2% are unique to the V8, and most of those the club can source or can get made. It's no worse then any other car that's out of production.

Agree and the members on here are quick to spot any parts that appear on the open market.

We've just remanufactured handbrake cables for less that half of the xpart price, - and our rear discs (genuine) are also less that half the xpower price

Are they expensive to maintain - generally no, though there are some big ticket items such as a clutch - as they require an engine out. They are not cheap to run, especially given todays fuel prices.

Take a test drive - you'll be hooked

I bought mine from Elite and happy to recommend them
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Many thanks for the prompt replies!
    I am very interested, but I must admit, running costs do concern me as petrol prices do seem to go up on an hourly basis!!!
    how do the running costs compare to the 190?

Best I got from my 190 was 30 mpg, best I've got from the 260 is 24 mpg, average is around 22 mpg
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Ah, good show, if you had a 190 how would you say they compare? I live in rural Oxfordshire. I would be using the car to commute to work 15 miles away on rural roads (great driving roads)!. At present I get 26-27 mpg I guess I would barely be getting 20 mpg in a 260?
    Is the performance between the two that different?

They are totally different animals

The 190 is, probably, more nimble, but the 260 is just, well it's 'just', brings a grin to my face no matter how crap my day's been.

I know the oxford roads - great drivers roads,

I've pushed the front end of the 190 too far but the back end of the 260 is so planted and controllable

I'd never go back to a 190, if I needed economy it'd be a CDTI with the 260 for pure fun

Group of us are going up to the MG spares day at Stoneleigh on the 20th - grab yourself a ticket and come and see a collection of the beasts

Cheers, will do. However, am I right in thinking that your sending me to Coventry?!

Inviting is different to sending