Gear issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gear issue

#576 ZT-T SE Pearl Black mikpeirce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
    Colin,

Located Hatfield, Herts. I don't know of any like owners and I'm unsure if there was any difference to the front wheel drive set-up.

cheers,

Kev
    Hi Kev,

Same town as me. I take it yours is the silver saloon with x-power back boxes.

There is a clutch bleed nipple in the pipe beside the bell housing, which I have bled mine with, although it was so tight I had to securley hold the pipe and had to be extremely carefull when loosening the bleed nipple.

It is a 2 man job to bleed this pipe as you'll need to lift the pedal back up after depressing to bleed. Also make sure you have the clutch master cylinder cap securely tightened when carrying out the bleeding as otherwise when depressing the pedal you'll just launch the fluid straight out of the top of the master cylinder.

When finished, if you have cruise control, you'll need to reset the clutch pedal cruise switch, which is on a ratchet and needs pulling back into contact with the clutch pedal once it has found it's natural height.

Mik Peirce

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post. :-)

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

hi,

yes does sound like hydraulics - read through the thread that re-tread posted. I got mine sorted in the end with a couple of new seals for the master cylinder (about £15 all in from BMW).

If its the master cyclinder, then you will be able to see/feel fluid most likely around the bottom of the cylinder where the pipe from the bulkhead connects to.

I hope for your sake it is this end because if its the slave cylinder then this is an engine out job to get to!.

But also check the bleed nipple as others have mentioned (behind passenger road wheel under car) and also, do check you have fluid in the reservoir! if its too low then air could have gotten in.

Usually, pumping the clutch would be likely to help a little in the interim? biut once it completely goes, as mine did, then you cant change gear at all.

Be warned - once the problem has been found and resolved, bleeding the system is not easy and takes time, patience and sticking to method.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Quote Originally Posted by re-tread View Post
    Re-tread,

Am not able at the present time to view this. Could you perhaps e-mail me with the contents in text form?

regards,

Kev

Ex-Mod, RIP

Re-tread,

Am not able at the present time to view this. Could you perhaps e-mail me with the contents in text form?

regards,

Kev
    It's 3 pages long.

When are you going green?? then you will be open to a world of info.

What area do you live??
    ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    It's 3 pages long.

When are you going green?? then you will be open to a world of info.

What area do you live??

GReeen? I've bought huge numbers of wind turbines and such crap that I don't have enough pennies to sort this out quickly ;-) Seriously though, due to corporate policy it is considered good form to not only be present for a set number of hours, but to ACTUALLY work those hours. Even more seriously, my computer system will only except pure text and rubbish such as Micro$oft's Word (and their text editor) imbeds garbage which rings alarm bells on the old virus checker, which results in a big boot into the bin. I will need to save the form onto some flash drive (probably have to hide it in an orifice to get it past security) and send to Tim when appropiately rendered.

Yours exhausted,

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by mikpeirce View Post
    Hi Kev,

Same town as me. I take it yours is the silver saloon with x-power back boxes.

There is a clutch bleed nipple in the pipe beside the bell housing, which I have bled mine with, although it was so tight I had to securley hold the pipe and had to be extremely carefull when loosening the bleed nipple.

It is a 2 man job to bleed this pipe as you'll need to lift the pedal back up after depressing to bleed. Also make sure you have the clutch master cylinder cap securely tightened when carrying out the bleeding as otherwise when depressing the pedal you'll just launch the fluid straight out of the top of the master cylinder.

When finished, if you have cruise control, you'll need to reset the clutch pedal cruise switch, which is on a ratchet and needs pulling back into contact with the clutch pedal once it has found it's natural height.

X-power Gray. Don't know if the boxes have been changed - I always thougth they were the originals :-/

Do you know off-hand if the fluid is silicon or DOT4 (+)?

Quote Originally Posted by 2V8s View Post
    hi,

yes does sound like hydraulics - read through the thread that re-tread posted. I got mine sorted in the end with a couple of new seals for the master cylinder (about £15 all in from BMW).

If its the master cyclinder, then you will be able to see/feel fluid most likely around the bottom of the cylinder where the pipe from the bulkhead connects to.

I hope for your sake it is this end because if its the slave cylinder then this is an engine out job to get to!.

But also check the bleed nipple as others have mentioned (behind passenger road wheel under car) and also, do check you have fluid in the reservoir! if its too low then air could have gotten in.

Usually, pumping the clutch would be likely to help a little in the interim? biut once it completely goes, as mine did, then you cant change gear at all.

Be warned - once the problem has been found and resolved, bleeding the system is not easy and takes time, patience and sticking to method.
    I'll do a thorough check when time permits but I'm used to seeing master on the bulkhead and slave on the side of the gearbox - a quick look in the engine bay of a ZT-260 doesn't give much away.

Do you have any part numbers for the BMW seal kits (not the seals that swim and eat fish).

regards,

Kev

Brake fluid is DOT4 not silicone

If you complete the questionnaire Tim sent you on registering you'll go green and get access to a wealth of information
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Quote Originally Posted by tom_2084 View Post
    Hi mate

Sounds to me like a clutch issue
    Yes we do have hydralic master and slave cyclinders on our car for the clutch

I've had simular issues sounds to me like a leaking master cyclinder which is under the dash with the pedals. if you put your hand down around that area you may find bit of oil around there.

I could be wrong tho best get checked out by a garage

Tom,

A bleed did the trick. Now my cruise is not working but I don't know when it failed. Perhaps it has never worked from new - I have never had the need to use the unnnecessary accessory.

regards,

Kev

Ex-Mod, RIP

Tom,

A bleed did the trick. Now my cruise is not working but I don't know when it failed. Perhaps it has never worked from new - I have never had the need to use the unnnecessary accessory.
    regards,

Kev
    Check the switches on the clutch and brake pedals.

ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple