MG 260 SE 04/04 #44 info/value etc,will be for sale - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MG 260 SE 04/04 #44 info/value etc,will be for sale

It's quite similar to the one that a trader sold on PH recently - here's the thread on this forum. That was an Mk1 SE model, VIN #035 that was up for £5,995.

That was priced to sell though (you don't sound so sure you want to sell it )

For £8K, people will be looking for something a bit newer like this one.
    Former owner of VIN 878 Rio Red
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/StephenL/zt-2][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-uk/44945.png[/IMG][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    It's quite similar to the one that a trader sold on PH recently - here's the thread on this forum. That was an Mk1 SE model, VIN #035 that was up for £5,995.

That was priced to sell though (you don't sound so sure you want to sell it )

For £8K, people will be looking for something a bit newer like this one.
    If and when i did decide 100% i would not need anywhere near £8K for it, i can say with confidence it would be competively priced, i think its got more to do with having known the car from day one thats keeps making me think i should stash it away somewhere for the future.

You mention people may be looking for something a bit newer, ive usually found as cars get older and start to get a classic/cult status you usually find enthusiasts tend to get more excited about the earlier examples of the marque, purest of the model so to speak, ive already noticed a difference of opinion on the net regarding the version to have.

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming im keen to know as much as i can about these Q cars.

Cheers

Id be tempted to keep it. Wouldn't worry about it being a daily driver, the only thing you'll need to keep on top of it stone chips and minding the kerbs. The running gear of the car shouldn't give any greif using it all the time.

Mines my daily driver (only car) and glad i moved from my ZT V6 to this, wouldn't dream of going back
    2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
    2000 MGF 1.8 Steptronic

MG ZT260 SE #171 'The Boat'
    - Gone but not forgotten

Daily Driver:- 2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 TDi Xcellence

Update your profile with location and local members may be able chat it over with you
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Hi Paul

Do you have any pics that you can post on here (or email) ?

Being a trader I guess you're used to taking pics for Autotrader or whatever ?

OC

Quote Originally Posted by Oddcat View Post
    Hi Paul

Do you have any pics that you can post on here (or email) ?

Being a trader I guess you're used to taking pics for Autotrader or whatever ?

OC
    I am a trader not a dealer i never sell retail so i never use autotrader i can take pics though, pm me

Ive had a few cars Ive regretted parting with and the V8 would be one of them. ( in fact its not happening !!)
    If you have the facilities why not stash it for a year or two and see how you feel then. It isnt going to lose you any money
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by pbeach View Post
    Used it today and whilst i think its a pretty awsome driving/sounding thing ive got mixed feelings as i think it would be a shame to use it on a daily basis, at the moment its quite a special umollested/pampered car thats led a sheltered life, if i used it how long would it be before it just turned into an average example.
    go on, keep it
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Quote Originally Posted by pbeach View Post
    If and when i did decide 100% i would not need anywhere near £8K for it, i can say with confidence it would be competively priced, i think its got more to do with having known the car from day one thats keeps making me think i should stash it away somewhere for the future.

You mention people may be looking for something a bit newer, ive usually found as cars get older and start to get a classic/cult status you usually find enthusiasts tend to get more excited about the earlier examples of the marque, purest of the model so to speak, ive already noticed a difference of opinion on the net regarding the version to have.

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming im keen to know as much as i can about these Q cars.

Cheers
    The SE spec I would say is sought after, grey silver and black are the common colours, unusual colours can get a premium. I happen to like the Mk1 front but the Mk2 back. I will be upgrading the mesh to the better quality Mk1 type when I get time.
    My daily drive for the last 3 years and I'm just weighing up the possibility of weekday diesel driver and the 260 for w/ends to keep the miles down.
    I'm in B'ham and commute between Great Barr and Tyseley if you ever need a second opinion.....

Paul

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

pbeach, as a classic enthusiast I know what you're saying re. older versions, but I think these cars are too young for that to be a consideration so I do think at the moment people are generally buying them to use and experience, rather than as future investment, and generally the mk2 is considered the better resolved and better looking version, though it pains me to say that as a mk1 owner!

However, I do agree the tables may turn over the decades when they are sought after rare classics, but it will take a little time in my view. Also, they were manufactured over such a relatively short time period I dont think age relative to each other would be a likely factor, more rarity. And correct me if I'm wrong people, but the mk1 is the rarer by some margin? About 3 to 1 Mk2 vs Mk1?

Probably the rarest collectable is the Rover (non MG) versions.

I probably cant comment on value as I got mine pretty cheap though it is high mileage. What would I personally pay for a car of your description if I was looking again? well that depends on seeing how pristine it is with my own eyes and if it was clearly head and shoulders above others with detailed and full history etc etc, I may pay £7-8k at present, but otherwise I would think £6-7k. FYI, mine was under 5k from a small private trader similar to yourself, although he tended to get cars from the trade and sell them on as he had an association with certain dealers. My car was traded in at a BMW dealer who moved the car straight on to this guy probably for negligible profit, he enjoyed it for a couple of weeks, then shifted it on to me at a very reasonable price
    Last edited by 2V8s; 23-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)