Young drivers - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Young drivers

All black, black, black. bernard lpg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    That's because they are taught simply to pass the test. Theres no in depth learning of the roads going on for when new drivers have passed their tests.
    I think that taking the HGV class 1 course taught me more about road awareness in a week than I had learned in the previous 20 years.

In my opinion every driver should have a day in a truck to realise just how lucky they have been not to have been squashed by one!
    Bernard Lovegrove. Rural Worcestershire.

Quote Originally Posted by bernard lpg View Post
    I think that taking the HGV class 1 course taught me more about road awareness in a week than I had learned in the previous 20 years.

In my opinion every driver should have a day in a truck to realise just how lucky they have been not to have been squashed by one!
    That's so true, did mine last month -FAILED!!!- going back soon, it's a real eye opener!

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    That's so true, did mine last month -FAILED!!!- going back soon, it's a real eye opener!
    I failed my Class 1 first time, then when the instructor got back in to take us home she sat in the cab, looked straight at me and said "how the hell did you fail?! You've done well in the lessons"

Was a complete bag of nerves and just failed miserably

Second time around (with the same examiner EEK!), drove it like a hire truck and passed

But on topic... I really think a seperate test for motorways is in order, or at least a compulsary 5 lessons after you passed the initial test.
    2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
    2000 MGF 1.8 Steptronic

MG ZT260 SE #171 'The Boat'
    - Gone but not forgotten

Daily Driver:- 2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 TDi Xcellence

Quote Originally Posted by bernard lpg View Post

I have no experience in trucks etc but it shouldn't take long to realise they cant take corners/islands without encroaching lanes... so it annoys the hell out of me when people behind me get impatient with ME! when I hang back to let a lorry/bus etc take the island without some dozy moron sitting on its inside...
    Ian

Ok here?s my two-penny worth.

All drivers should be required to retake their driving test say every 10 years to maintain their right to drive.

The test pass should be graded like the RoSPA test; Gold, Silver and Bronze. All of these grades would represent a test pass and driving standard we higher than is currently required for the UK.

There should also be a ?basic? pass level that is the minimum standard required and would be similar to what we have now. With this level of pass you should be required to retake and improve you pass level to at least a Bronze within 12 to 18 months of first passing you test. Until you get the Bronze, you?re not allowed on Motorways or other high-speed dual carriageways and there is a restriction on the type/performance of the car you can drive.

The incentive for achieving the higher pass level would be insurance premiums; the higher the pass the better discount on your premium. You should represent a low accident risk and the insurance companies need to recognize that.
    Andrew Flewin

ZT260SE #269

The mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open.

Oh! I've not taken the RoSPA driving test but I have taken and passed the IAM version. No, I've not retaken it. It's on my list of things to do but the incentive is not there other than the satisfaction of having passed the test; the better insurance premiums are not our there
    Andrew Flewin

ZT260SE #269

The mind is like a parachute, it only functions when open.