How many are still nice and what are my chances.... ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many are still nice and what are my chances.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddcat View Post
    bigkeeko - "a bit of a wasted journey". Is that like being "a bit pregnant" !

Scraping the barrel with that one. Hit a nerve have I?
    Bottom line is don`t vent your anger out on a forum because you`ve thrown your toys out of the pram. You`ve not exactly endeared yourself to the forum anyway, which by all accounts is friendly and helpful as far as motoring forums go. You don`t strike me as the kind of person that would be happy with anything, let alone an MG with a couple of faults. So what? you travelled to look at a car that didn`t suit you. We`ve all done it. Instead of whining about it and belittling forum members take it on the chin like a man and move on.

No doubt you`ll be back with a long winded essay but I won`t rise to it.
    Last edited by bigkeeko; 23-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.

I can say that when I went looking of the 14 cars viewed only two were good uns, one of which became Mr Bountyfull. As for site members and the expectation of top notch cars, well my car is looked after but driven hard when the hand brake (Wife) is not on board.
    Again it will not be for sale for the same reason so many hold on to them long term.
    I hope you find the car that can make you smile with the turn of a key every time be it the MG or other.

Steve
    VIN 260 Steve Miller

Don't think you would like mine used every day for work (I'm a painter) bought last year and then had gearbox clutch spigot bearing alternator aircon pump replaced and she looked great and drove well but deep inside not a well girl. The point is the cover of a book like the looks of a girl can hide some nasty things. But even so still love driving her and would not swap even for a Jag try looking for another 260 when you go for a drive

Best of Luck

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Don't think you would like mine used every day for work (I'm a painter) bought last year and then had gearbox clutch spigot bearing alternator aircon pump replaced and she looked great and drove well but deep inside not a well girl. The point is the cover of a book like the looks of a girl can hide some nasty things. But even so still love driving her and would not swap even for a Jag try looking for another 260 when you go for a drive

Best of Luck

Martin

Agree - wasn't till mine spent a two week stint up at Austins that some of her history became clear, but I'll get it all sorted - wouldn't swap it now
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

There is a member on here who was trying to sell a very low mileage, top spec saloon. Not for me to intervene but you might try searching the site thoroughly
    Hi all

So, question is, what realistically are the chances of me finding a nice, well cared for, virtually unmarked example (accepting a little wear & tear) with reasonable mileage (say sub 50k) a service history, all of the known desirable upgrades a seat bolster that looks factory fresh, unscuffed wheels and nothing currently wrong with it ?
    A

for some reason the dash had been changed for the wood effect. Forgot to check the glove box for optional pipe and flat cap. At least the original grey plain trim was provided too.

PS No offence intended for those who like max power spoilers and / or wood effect dashboards
    Bentley, Aston Martin and Jaguar all provide burr walnut dashboards you f***ing creep.

That's a bit harsh !

Having said that, I guess maybe I deserve it. I came on here for help and it wasn't smart of me to say anything that could cause offence so please accept my unreserved apologies.

I'm just a petrolhead and car fan at heart like everyone else on here.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and for the advice etc.

That's a bit harsh !

Having said that, I guess maybe I deserve it. I came on here for help and it wasn't smart of me to say anything that could cause offence so please accept my unreserved apologies.

I'm just a petrolhead and car fan at heart like everyone else on here.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and for the advice etc.
    Hopefully I'm picking up my first 260 at the end of this week, I'm looking forward to it for myself, not for anyone else, It looks much like the 160 Zt I'm replacing it with so people that aren't in the know will have to look closely, but that's their problem, I've been after one for years and I know what's under the car, it's origins, it's capabilities and people at work will say "It's still only a Rover" and that's because so many people who think they know about cars don't and so many people buy a car for what it makes other people think of them. No one would be seen dead in a skoda until they could say "It's a VW really" even though skoda had heaps of rally wins etc. My brother drives an Alfa, lovely looking car, but how many people know it's just a Fiat? The service manager at a local Fiat/Alfa garage said to me all the Alfas are just "a fiat in a dress and a bloody expensive dress at that"
    When Rolls Royce and Bentley were the same company people said "When I win the lottery I'm gona buy a Rolls" Car enthusiasts said " I'm gona buy a Bentley!"
    So if you want an S-type (Ford Lincoln) then pay more money, people will look and say lovely Jag coz that's all they know, but the ZT will handle better, be more responsive and have more character etc etc

I'm sure you didn't mean to upset people and I'm sure everyone accepts the 260 isn't perfect!

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Hopefully I'm picking up my first 260 at the end of this week, I'm looking forward to it for myself, not for anyone else, It looks much like the 160 Zt I'm replacing it with so people that aren't in the know will have to look closely, but that's their problem, I've been after one for years and I know what's under the car, it's origins, it's capabilities and people at work will say "It's still only a Rover" and that's because so many people who think they know about cars don't and so many people buy a car for what it makes other people think of them. No one would be seen dead in a skoda until they could say "It's a VW really" even though skoda had heaps of rally wins etc. My brother drives an Alfa, lovely looking car, but how many people know it's just a Fiat? The service manager at a local Fiat/Alfa garage said to me all the Alfas are just "a fiat in a dress and a bloody expensive dress at that"
    When Rolls Royce and Bentley were the same company people said "When I win the lottery I'm gona buy a Rolls" Car enthusiasts said " I'm gona buy a Bentley!"
    So if you want an S-type (Ford Lincoln) then pay more money, people will look and say lovely Jag coz that's all they know, but the ZT will handle better, be more responsive and have more character etc etc

I'm sure you didn't mean to upset people and I'm sure everyone accepts the 260 isn't perfect!
    enjoy your 260 when you pick it up later this week
    colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Hopefully I'm picking up my first 260 at the end of this week
    Congratulations! (from another new owner).

Which one are you getting? (just being nosey!)
    Former owner of VIN 878 Rio Red
    [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/StephenL/zt-2][IMG]http://www.fuelly.com/smallsig-uk/44945.png[/IMG][/URL]