Tickety, tock!

Thread: Tickety, tock!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks again chaps. I ran the diagnostic procedure - no result. The tickety tock is only there when the ATC is on AND the engine running. But...it is definitely the balance valve because I managed to make it stop by changing the balance. I guess I normally have the temp set the same on both sides of the car. But if I adjust it so that there is more than 2 degrees difference, the tickety tock stops. And as I adjust either temp setting, you can hear the valve operating with the same noise. Don't know why it keeps operating when the temps are the same. Interesting...

So it looks like she will have to sit in the cold while I enjoy optimum temperature! And at least I can listen to the locusts in peace.
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

glad you have found the source of the noise. as the balance valve is part of a servo loop system, it will keep constantly readjusting itself dependent upon the temperature inputs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's started up again, so that confirms that it is in a loop. I've now set her temp to Lo and it's stopped again, but I know she won't last long like that!! If it really drives me mad, can I disconnect the balance valve servo, do you think? Or will the whole ATC have a spak attack?
    VIN 206

I wonder if the valve body is sticking. Im dreading the first request to " black olive" this valve, as firstly it has a very tight space envelope due to its position, and secondly, I'm not sure the design of the diverter valve I use would lend itself to the application.

I'm not convinced of the "benefits" of a dual climate control system, and to be honest would replace the whole shooting match with a 15mm t piece, dont know whether this would upset the panel's diagnostics though. Other option would be just to unplug the servo as you said, and see what happens- easier than fittign a t piece
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Steve - I'll report back later on what I do next!
    VIN 206