Buying Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying Advice

Default Buying Advice

Hi everyone
    I just wondered if I could get some advice from you guys, I would like to get a 260 and have seen one on ebay that is starting low due to it being a cat d write off. The car looks like it only really needs a bit of TLC a tidy up and those horrible wheels taken off. Just wondered if anyone on here knew the history of the car as the current owner does not.
    I haven't been to see it yet as I wanted to ask for advice on here first just incase someone knew a tale of woe and the car had been in a bad accident or some such

Thanks in advance
    Matt
    P.s great site, loads of information to be found about these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by millamber View Post
    Hi everyone
    I just wondered if I could get some advice from you guys, I would like to get a 260 and have seen one on ebay that is starting low due to it being a cat d write off. The car looks like it only really needs a bit of TLC a tidy up and those horrible wheels taken off. Just wondered if anyone on here knew the history of the car as the current owner does not.
    I haven't been to see it yet as I wanted to ask for advice on here first just incase someone knew a tale of woe and the car had been in a bad accident or some such

Thanks in advance
    Matt
    P.s great site, loads of information to be found about these cars.

Hi Matt

If you could post up the ebay link or item number we'll give you the low down on what we know
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Ah yes I can see how that might help .....oops its
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/53-REG-MG-ZT-S...item2a07d5df68

Reg is BG53BZE

No problem, I'll try and track down the VIN and see what I can dig up, I'm others will be along and let you have their thoughts
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Thanks Mike, knew I'd seen it somewhere recently

nice little profit its turning already...

Personally with a 260 I would find that the no service history is extremely suspect.... suggests a new book bought , but I guess if the original owner lost it to Insurance , he wouldn't bother sending the book...

Oh and factor in the cost of a heater hose from the club, as it's had a diy Job so heater hose has also blown at some point ... hopefully the owner was able to stop nice and quickly and no further damage than a wet engine bay .............

considering the price some decent ones have gone for I cant actually believe this one is going like it is....
    No History
    Cat D
    Paintwork needs spraying
    Wheels need changing
    Hose needs replacing (hopefully no furtehr problems...)
    Aircon 'could be gas' could be $$$$$$$$

Normally i say Buy buy buy, but this one dosent do it for me ...
    No TC is a boost, but then it's an UGLY MK1

Maybe if you could speak to the original owner and find out exactly what the Cat D was for, and when the hose went etc. they would probably have the service sheet too... I'd think it was unlikely that a 260 book wasn't filled for 55K

good luck finding one anyway
    Nick

Seller has confirmed it is VIN #069

No 317 Oh yes and some greeners's Avatar

Mine is a CAT C, (bit of a story that I won't go into)

Wrote to the first 2 keepers and got not only the service history, but the 2nd key and CD changer cartridge.

Cat D is not recorded on the V5C nor does it need a VIC test. It's been done on grounds of costs.

I've given mine a full service from top to bottom, and they really are tough old birds.

Thanks for your quick replies, Perhaps I should wait a bit save up a bit more money and get a nice tidy one, when it comes along. There is one on Auto trader at the moment a grey 06 model with 17,000 miles but there is no reg and only 1 picture the seller is asking £7950 which is a bit steep for me plus its a trader which I dont really like.