Strange question but I have to test the water - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange question but I have to test the water

LHD ZT260 - # 536

Quote Originally Posted by 2V8s View Post
    and, the Monaro is, dare I say it, quicker than the 260 and much more tunable engine.

But, for what you get for your money - I still love the 260.

current shape mustang you can get for about 11k I have seen? but they are STILL live rear axle unless you get the shelby top of the range jobbie.
    Even the current Shelby has a live rear axle, I think. Afaik, the only Mustang to have IRS (independent rear suspension) was the 2003-04 Mustang Cobra SVT, which was the last of the older shape (SN95) Mustangs. It had a supercharged engine putting out 390 bhp, which must have been some car. Apparently the US market preferred the older live axle set-up as it was easier to modify.

Julian (ex-Mustang owner).
    Julianp
    Julian Parish - Paris, France
    A recently separated ex-260 owner in France, but still a V8 enthusiast!

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

hmmm, i'm sure I remember reading there has been a limited model of the current shape mustang to be fitted with IRS - I shall investigate! If not the Shelby then there must be an even hotter model!

in fact - it looks to be the GT500KR version or something like that - or maybe a tuning company had fitted aftermarket IRS? I saw it on ebay I think....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/4301464
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Ex-Mod, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 2V8s View Post
    Indeed, one day I'll have me a mid-sixties Mustang convertible 289 V8. Not for pace and handling, just classic good looks and style
    A couple from my collection:

ZTT400 SHM Pearl Black #519 "Super Brick"
    ZTT260 Starlight Silver #428
    ZS180 x 3: 2 x Trophy Blue Hatchbacks, 1 x Le Mans Green 4 door. (Loads of ZS bits For Sale)
    ZR160 3 door XPG, Road Racer, "Rabbit" FOR SALE
    Triumph Bikes x 2. 1999 Speed Triple, 2011 Street Triple

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

currently looking at these (on my PC....not unfortunately with any funds )

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170495753357

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MUSTANG-C...item255af0777b
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

Quote Originally Posted by Julianp View Post
    Even the current Shelby has a live rear axle, I think. Afaik, the only Mustang to have IRS (independent rear suspension) was the 2003-04 Mustang Cobra SVT, which was the last of the older shape (SN95) Mustangs. It had a supercharged engine putting out 390 bhp, which must have been some car. Apparently the US market preferred the older live axle set-up as it was easier to modify.

Julian (ex-Mustang owner).
    The 03/04 Cobra is an amazing bit of kit. It is the only Mustang that I could consider replacing mine with. They make 500 HP with just a smaller supercharger pulley and a re-map.

SJR
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.

Well the question originally asked-what instead of?-I have loved the sound of a V8 since I was a kid and eventually bought a MG ZT 260SE after MG Rovers demise and I don't think there is a better value for money sorted V8 out there. I have also since bought a MG RV8 and more recently a MG SV-R, so the V8 sound is firmly in my blood! Sometimes I think I must be crazy and then I get back into one of my cars and the smiles keep on coming back! As you say-it is a question of how much do you spend to satisfy that mid life desire? The ZT V8 can't easily be beaten....Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
    Seen a couple recently and they are growing in appeal
    I think they are fantastic.... but have to have the nostrils.... an online buddy has the 6L supercharged with aftermarket exhaust and the sound is incredible... it sounds like a race car the way it barks... whilst the interior trim is indeed Poxhall theres more than a little Hsv involved underneath
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
    I think they are fantastic.... but have to have the nostrils.... an online buddy has the 6L supercharged with aftermarket exhaust and the sound is incredible... it sounds like a race car the way it barks... whilst the interior trim is indeed Poxhall theres more than a little Hsv involved underneath
    I ran a 6.0VXR for a short while. The motor is totally awesome - properly big grunt from anywhere in the range and a wonderful noise with the loud exhausts.

However, I sold it & carried on with 260's, as the Monaro feels wide, soft & baggy compared to the hard nut MG which is just so unbelievably well suited to UK roads if you like driving a bit hard.

Each to their own, but to me the Monaro is built for monstering long straight AUS outback roads and the 260 to our uniquely varied & twisty UK tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkeeko View Post
    I appreciate your input SJR

The bottom line is I`m going to buy a V8 car of some description. I had my fill of 4 bangers V6s and turbos. The big V8 roar is where its at for me now. I`ve had some great cars but never ones that made the perfect tune. I`m 41 and feel that as I get on in life if I don`t get one now I`ll end up driving a Toyota avensis estate or something and checking out pension plans.
    I had a good chat with Phil earlier regarding his 260. I`m a fussy ba$tard when it comes to cars and they have to be `right` or i won`t buy it. Its pretty expensive, BUT, I get the feeling its a good one so we`ll see how it goes.
    If the truth be told its a British car for me (ok its got a yank engine) and I have put the feelers out for a Mustang. Watch the Bullitt chase scene and tell me you`re not into that kinda thing.
    An sn95 Bullitt was top of my list in opposition to the 260. Although the new 5th gen are handsome cars I can`t justify £20k for `an image`

Like most guys I like LOADS of different makes and types of car and couldn`t hand on heart say that one is better than all. I just love cars. But this time it must have eight cylinders.

Being new I'm looking at past threads and this one I had a bit of a laugh at Bigkeekos comment of "ok its got a yank engine". 99% (that I'm aware of) of all British V8 cars are American powered. Including some of the greatest cars ever built! Number one on my list is Ford's GT40 (built in Slough) from the early 60's which used a 425 SOCH Cobra Jet. After 3 or 4 years was outlawed by race officials because NO ONE could beat it.....all because Enzo Ferrari pissed off Henry Ford Jr. Now thats Yankee ingenuity, Limey engineering at its best!

If i had the money i would go out and buy one of these tomorrow:

Called the Super Snake or something. rebuilt with modern brakes etc. Luurvely.
    Ian