Rusting front discs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusting front discs

Default Rusting front discs

Anyone else experience this? The front discs start rusting from the outer edge yet the rears stay bright and shiny!

This was a new pair fitted last summer but the recent salt on the roads and maybe my light footed braking has them starting to show rusting like the last set. They were changed at about 45k with new pads also even though the original pads still looked like new. Its as if the pads are not abrasive enough to keep the front discs polished like the rears.

Is it stopping OK?
    How often do you drive the car?
    Are they still rusty after a long journey?
    Have the pistons seized?

Am I asking too many questions?

#576 ZT-T SE Pearl Black mikpeirce's Avatar

When I purchased mine the front discs were appalling, with a good inch of the outer edge corroded. I put it down to continued light use of the brakes and little use. Brakes do need a good hard use occasionally to keep the full contact patch of the pad the bite the surface of the disc.

I obviously replaced the discs and pads as soon as and make sure now that the brakes get a good stamping on every once in a while to keep the full surface of the discs clean.

Mik Peirce

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post. :-)

Hi,

Yes I've always had problems with rust on the front discs. I only use the car on average once a week, so I expect this is the reason. I'm on my third set in five years of ownership

I think another problem is my style of driving, as there's so much torque and engine braking I don't really need the brakes that much

Cheers,

Justin
    Justin - Ex-website button-pusher

2003 MG ZT260 SE No. 144
    2018 Mini Cooper Clubman
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250FA
    197? Triumph 'Mostly'
    1975 Montesa Cota 175

#576 ZT-T SE Pearl Black mikpeirce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reverie158 View Post
    I think another problem is my style of driving, as there's so much torque and engine braking I don't really need the brakes that much
    I'm much the same, hence the occasional heavy brake to help clean them.

When I stripped down the rear brakes to service the hand brake mech I attempted to get a friend to perform a skim clean on the discs as they were pretty grotty, unfortunately they were too bloody large in diameter to fit on his lathe! Had to use a bit of elbow grease abd emery cloth in the end but at least it means my handbrake functions ok now.

I tend to paint the non-friction surfaces of new discs now with a hard wearing enamel or Hammerite to stop corrosion if the car doesn't get used much and just use a hard brake at high speed to clean the friction surfaces. (Obviously checking the rear view mirror first!)
    Last edited by mikpeirce; 18-02-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Still can't spell!

Mik Peirce

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by reverie158 View Post
    Hi,

Yes I've always had problems with rust on the front discs. I only use the car on average once a week, so I expect this is the reason. I'm on my third set in five years of ownership

Cheers,

Justin
    I've had my car from new and with around 66k miles up have just had my fronts replaced, also the rears shortly. Having learned to ride motorcycles first I still change down through the gearbox while slowing down, which with the engine braking almost makes the brakes redundant!
    Graham,
    Black Olive ZT, VIN 306

having not driven my car for only 6 days whilst i was in france i drove it today and the feel to the brakes was horrible, you could really feel the corrosion on them from where it had been standing, after a few good applications they were fine. but shows how little time it takes.
    Peter Essling

Mine is used daily, no rust what so ever on the disc faces.
    Ian

Bristol / or back home in Cornwall, United Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by pessling View Post
    having not driven my car for only 6 days whilst i was in france i drove it today and the feel to the brakes was horrible, you could really feel the corrosion on them from where it had been standing, after a few good applications they were fine. but shows how little time it takes.
    sadly it takes no time at all.

colintf
    Colin Murrell
    vin 00242 - Probably the only 260 to have driven the full Le Mans circuit?
    MG Car Club Z Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep.
    MG Car Club V8 Register V8 ZT/ZTT Rep
    MG Car Club MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions.
    MG Car Club MGF Register International Liaison Representative

http://www.mgfim.org/

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm

http://www.v8register.net/

http://www.mgfregister.org/

http://www.racethemg.com/ http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Member of MGCC (UK), MGOC, VSCC & TSSC (Triumph Sports Six Club)

Can happen overnight!
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end