Aircon compressor whine after a hard run - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aircon compressor whine after a hard run

Apologies guys, if I've posted this in the wrong place - I'm a bit new to the whole forum thing so not entirely clear on etiquette - but this 4 year old discussion seemed to be the most appropriate place to chip in with a quick novice question.

I have a suspect failing aircon compressor - gradual loss of cold air con over a 200 mile period, but a constant flow of very hot air into the cabin when the A/C is switched-off completely, then a strong smell of burning electric motor which occurred during the next journey (I originally thought it was the racer-boy next to me at the traffic lights in his Ford Fiesta - but the smell reappeared 40 miles later when I was stationary at the next set of lights!) and after a bit of investigation, a rattly front plate on the aircon pulley, which will turn by hand but no longer seems to rotate with the belt system....

So my main question is, can I drive the car a reasonable distance like this, as long as the Econ button is selected to disengage the aircon clutch? Or is a compressor seize now inevitable, a belt snap on the cards and an expensive afternoon with a man from the AA in my future? I'm just wondering if I dare use the car while I source the parts and pick a garage.

Thanks,
    James

Sounds like it could be the clutch on the compressor which has failed. The smell of burning rubber is the clue.
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

Thanks Dave. It was a more metallic smell than burning rubber, but I think it's all semantics really. I don't know much about A/C compressors to be honest - so I'll take your guidance on it being the clutch on the compressor. That means new compressor presumably or can just the clutch be replaced? Biggest concern right now though is whether I should be covering any great distance in the car whilst the compressor is at death's door. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Dubya View Post
    Thanks Dave. It was a more metallic smell than burning rubber, but I think it's all semantics really. I don't know much about A/C compressors to be honest - so I'll take your guidance on it being the clutch on the compressor. That means new compressor presumably or can just the clutch be replaced? Biggest concern right now though is whether I should be covering any great distance in the car whilst the compressor is at death's door. Thoughts?
    You can get a new clutch but the likelihood is that the compressor is the culprit.
    Normally a seized clutch means the compressor will be running all the time
    Run in econ will disengage the clutch so should be alright to drive if not seized.

If the clutch engages but the compressor is seized the clutch may slip (as it's a magnetic one) until the point it actually locks up due to the heat build up.
    Lots of scenarios but the best advice I can give is to replace the compressor and clutch.
    47881.jpg
    Last edited by Herman; 14-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

All makes sense. Thank you chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Dubya View Post
    All makes sense. Thank you chaps.
    Just have a quick read here http://www.accompressorpro.com/blog/...lutch-slippage
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Further to the above, I covered 1500 miles over multiple journeys with the aircon set to Econ and was planning to have the compressor swapped at the next service, due in another 900 miles - however a fortnight ago, I stopped for a quick bite 120miles from home, returned to the car and on turning the ignition, the pulley seized solid and snapped the serpentine belt. Shrieking belt-slip, smoke and smell and then heavy steering... This was in contrast with my fiancé who fell silent; arms crossed.

Was going to be staying 15miles away in Glastonbury for the weekend, so before calling the recovery truck out, I (checked on the forum for recommended mechanics local to Glastonbury but couldn't find anyone mentioned) so searched for a local garage who might be up to the job. Called-up Finlandya Custom, as their website shows vehicle restorations and a lot of Land Rover work. Figured they'll have seen plenty of V8s. Turns out they have a penchant for the interesting, have a range of experience on air-con units and they like their V8s.

Details on the forum helped me shortcut some of the painful diagnosis and pointed them in the right direction on part numbers and sourcing and route of the belt etc. I don't claim to know whether this is correct, but apparently the internal compressor seemed OK, but the outer bearing on the pulley was to blame. I asked them to swap the whole unit and requested the thorough flushing of the system to be on the safe side. They sourced a brand new compressor from a company in Bristol within a working day or two. It wasn't cheap, but it was a solution.

Time will tell whether the workmanship was good, but I picked the car up yesterday and it's nice not to have pebbles in a dustbin sound effects on start up now. Perhaps I am just used to 'you are number Z in the queue' London service, but the guys at Finlandya were super friendly. When Rob discovered we were staying in the area for the weekend and needed to get around, he threw me the keys to a Disco to use for the weekend at no cost and his home address to drop it off on Sunday night! Salvaged our weekend and indeed partially restored my popularity.

There is one thing now which I need to address, which is the temperature of the aircon. The mechanic highlighted that despite having tested the system for leaks and filled the aircon unit with 475 (450 +/- 50 permitted, so well within tolerance) it was still blowing warmer than expected air. I needed the car back and knew the truth lies somewhere on this forum, so I'll start working through the various tests and solutions mentioned in several of the threads here. I now think the failure of the aircon and the rise in its temperature to above ambient, which occurred before the gradual failure of the aircon pulley can't have been linked, as a complete, replacement compressor unit has not improved the situation. Anyway, fortunately, we're heading into winter, so I have a few months' grace to sort it out.

Have a look for threads on failed heater valves and the Black Olive replacement. If your valve is leaking water through to the heater matrix the aircon will have little chance in keeping up. Putting a clamp on the bottom hose in the plenum will prove this one way or another.
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

My air con compressor seized recently but so did the bearing on the electromagnetic clutch which I suspect had been on its way out for a while. My car always sounded wrong but I couldn't pin it down and I suspect the bearing in the clutch was the culprit, I'd be checking it as well as re-gassing the system. I read in the forum somewhere Scooter stated not to decrease the amount of oil but use the full amount. I followed his advice and now my one runs very quiet. The compressor cost me £250 plus the dreaded vat but this is a new one. I did try another company I'd read about on here but the guy hadn't a clue what I was talking about, all he could say was they only do the parts listed on the online catalogue

Odyssey Blue Mk1 Vin 075

Quote Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
    My air con compressor seized recently but so did the bearing on the electromagnetic clutch which I suspect had been on its way out for a while. My car always sounded wrong but I couldn't pin it down and I suspect the bearing in the clutch was the culprit, I'd be checking it as well as re-gassing the system. I read in the forum somewhere Scooter stated not to decrease the amount of oil but use the full amount. I followed his advice and now my one runs very quiet. The compressor cost me £250 plus the dreaded vat but this is a new one. I did try another company I'd read about on here but the guy hadn't a clue what I was talking about, all he could say was they only do the parts listed on the online catalogue
    Hi Les, where did you get your compressor from as i need to replace mine soon.
    Ken...

Ken Bischoff Vin 075.