Aircon compressor whine after a hard run - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aircon compressor whine after a hard run

Hi, just to tell you that I sourced a air con compressor from these people autoaironline, the chap I spoke to told me that infact Visteon no longer manufacture there own units but is out sourced to a Korean company, armed with that info I purchased a new unit replacement not visteon branded but also made in Korea the cost with shipping + the dreaded import tax of £32 was in total £184 compared with over £250 here for a recon. Delivery took about 2 weeks you could get it sooner via DHL but at a cost. The chap I spoke to was Rick here info@autoaironline.com

I hope the regas sorts your probs out but if not I hope this info is of some help to you. Martin

PS he has a full range to offer the one I chose was not the cheapest but middle of the road his recomendation as best value for the "bucks"
    Last edited by Martin; 05-02-2010 at 09:48 AM. Reason: More info

Mine did that as well. Had it re-gassed at Austin Garages and was advised that there wasn't anything untoward in the gas (i.e. bits that tend to accompany the seizing). (Although it was overgassed a bit). Still whines from time to time now, but I don't tend to put it on that much due to economy hit!

To a degree I think some whine is normal, but it depends how loud it is I guess.

One person's whine may be different from someone else's.
    Did have #207, now belongs to John :(
    One day, I'll be back in the 260s... :)

I would expect a little bit of noise but I could hear this in the cabin with the windows shut :|

That is quite loud then!!
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

It was re-gassed just before Christmas, Can honestly say never has any symptoms before selling.

Aircon in a performance car, demisting aside do we really need it?
    Can a reduced length belt be bought to bypass the compressor completely?

Just a thought!
    Keith Alexander, Ellesmere, Shropshire UK,

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Aircon in a performance car, demisting aside do we really need it?

Just a thought!
    In the old days, you could just open your quarter vent window and wind down the other windows and life was sweet. You could even smell the gorgeous fragrances of the countryside as you motored along. In modern cars if you open a window your brain gets sucked out of your ears and the 200% additional glass (for visibility, safety and aerodynamics reasons) turns the inside of the car into a greenhouse on even a moderately warm day, hence the need for aircon.

Have car designers let us down do you think?
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyLC View Post
    I took a friend out earlier for a 'brisk' drive, I stopped for a bit and the fan had cut in so I let the car cool down before turning it off. When I restated there was a distinctive whine constant with engine speed, I popped the bonnet and noticed it was coming from the A/C compressor, when I switch off the A/C (econ) the noise is gone.

I've not noticed any other issues with the A/C or fans.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys!
    I have a spare compressor of an engine that threw a rod with 22k on the clock.

I also have avalable loads of other parts.

Mike.

Strangely I've not had any problems since that evening I was giving it "billy big balls".. I'm having the system flushed, gassed and oiled on the weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyLC View Post
    I'm having the system flushed, gassed and oiled on the weekend though.
    These two photos show the result of the flushing of my system after the compressor had seized. The flushing liquid is Shellite and is suitably murky when stirred up. You can see the pile of iron filings settled in the bottom of the beaker in the second photo if you look closely enough. This is what the first garage failed to remove so it is no wonder the replacement compressor died with all that ironmongery running in the refrigerant.
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...