Aircon compressor whine after a hard run - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Aircon compressor whine after a hard run

I know it was asked earlier but I haven't seen an answer to it.

Is it possible to get a shorter belt so you can bypass the compressor?

Did they check the oil level of the new compressor as well?
    Have a read here if not already done https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...ill-quantities
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post

Not by just a shorter belt. You need a by-pass pulley.
    http://pbhperformance.com/shop/modul...delete-pulley/

swap-ac-delete.jpg

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenw View Post

I did think about this too late as it happens as I'd the radiator etc back in but looking at the angles if you missed out the compressor I don't think the tensioner would work properly but I'd be happy if someone came up with a differnt answer. This would enable us to carry a spare belt which could be fitted instantly

Odyssey Blue Mk1 Vin 075

Quote Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
    I did think about this too late as it happens as I'd the radiator etc back in but looking at the angles if you missed out the compressor I don't think the tensioner would work properly but I'd be happy if someone came up with a differnt answer. This would enable us to carry a spare belt which could be fitted instantly
    It dose not work you need a bracket and pulley to replace the a/c compressor.

Ken Bischoff Vin 075.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
    It dose not work you need a bracket and pulley to replace the a/c compressor.
    Correct, see post #33

Herman

Quote Originally Posted by J.Dubya View Post
    Further to the above, I covered 1500 miles over multiple journeys with the aircon set to Econ and was planning to have the compressor swapped at the next service, due in another 900 miles - however a fortnight ago, I stopped for a quick bite 120miles from home, returned to the car and on turning the ignition, the pulley seized solid and snapped the serpentine belt. Shrieking belt-slip, smoke and smell and then heavy steering... This was in contrast with my fiancé who fell silent; arms crossed.

Was going to be staying 15miles away in Glastonbury for the weekend, so before calling the recovery truck out, I (checked on the forum for recommended mechanics local to Glastonbury but couldn't find anyone mentioned) so searched for a local garage who might be up to the job. Called-up Finlandya Custom, as their website shows vehicle restorations and a lot of Land Rover work. Figured they'll have seen plenty of V8s. Turns out they have a penchant for the interesting, have a range of experience on air-con units and they like their V8s.

Details on the forum helped me shortcut some of the painful diagnosis and pointed them in the right direction on part numbers and sourcing and route of the belt etc. I don't claim to know whether this is correct, but apparently the internal compressor seemed OK, but the outer bearing on the pulley was to blame. I asked them to swap the whole unit and requested the thorough flushing of the system to be on the safe side. They sourced a brand new compressor from a company in Bristol within a working day or two. It wasn't cheap, but it was a solution.

Time will tell whether the workmanship was good, but I picked the car up yesterday and it's nice not to have pebbles in a dustbin sound effects on start up now. Perhaps I am just used to 'you are number Z in the queue' London service, but the guys at Finlandya were super friendly. When Rob discovered we were staying in the area for the weekend and needed to get around, he threw me the keys to a Disco to use for the weekend at no cost and his home address to drop it off on Sunday night! Salvaged our weekend and indeed partially restored my popularity.

There is one thing now which I need to address, which is the temperature of the aircon. The mechanic highlighted that despite having tested the system for leaks and filled the aircon unit with 475 (450 +/- 50 permitted, so well within tolerance) it was still blowing warmer than expected air. I needed the car back and knew the truth lies somewhere on this forum, so I'll start working through the various tests and solutions mentioned in several of the threads here. I now think the failure of the aircon and the rise in its temperature to above ambient, which occurred before the gradual failure of the aircon pulley can't have been linked, as a complete, replacement compressor unit has not improved the situation. Anyway, fortunately, we're heading into winter, so I have a few months' grace to sort it out.
    Many thanks James, very informative. Good to know about Finlandya Custom, I'll add it to the recommended list.

Nich.
    Nicholas John Peter Tinker - # 484

Manufactured on Tuesday 27th April 2004 @ 12.17.47.
    Commission Number: 24468.
    Brochure Model: M3 Tourer 4.6 V8 260PS.
    Specification Code: L01B.
    CICode: D1511.
    Trim Level: TL8.9 (M3).

65th ZT-T 260SE to be made out of 115.
    11th ZT-T 260 SE in Pearl Black (PBT) out of 23 produced.

Manufactured in the UK by MG Rover Group Ltd.

Doh! Not sure. Doubt it. Thanks Herman. I'll check this week. Dare I ask what happens if you leave the factory fill level of oil in the compressor?

Mine makes a whistle noise which changes pitch as throttle is applied or eased off when air con is on and sometimes when it is off. Never thought anything of it ... till now