Apologies guys, if I've posted this in the wrong place - I'm a bit new to the whole forum thing so not entirely clear on etiquette - but this 4 year old discussion seemed to be the most appropriate place to chip in with a quick novice question.

I have a suspect failing aircon compressor - gradual loss of cold air con over a 200 mile period, but a constant flow of very hot air into the cabin when the A/C is switched-off completely, then a strong smell of burning electric motor which occurred during the next journey (I originally thought it was the racer-boy next to me at the traffic lights in his Ford Fiesta - but the smell reappeared 40 miles later when I was stationary at the next set of lights!) and after a bit of investigation, a rattly front plate on the aircon pulley, which will turn by hand but no longer seems to rotate with the belt system....

So my main question is, can I drive the car a reasonable distance like this, as long as the Econ button is selected to disengage the aircon clutch? Or is a compressor seize now inevitable, a belt snap on the cards and an expensive afternoon with a man from the AA in my future? I'm just wondering if I dare use the car while I source the parts and pick a garage.

Thanks,
James