Aircon compressor whine after a hard run
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircon compressor whine after a hard run

Default Aircon compressor whine after a hard run

I took a friend out earlier for a 'brisk' drive, I stopped for a bit and the fan had cut in so I let the car cool down before turning it off. When I restated there was a distinctive whine constant with engine speed, I popped the bonnet and noticed it was coming from the A/C compressor, when I switch off the A/C (econ) the noise is gone.

I've not noticed any other issues with the A/C or fans.

Any ideas?

Cheers guys!

If it didn't do it before and from what you said started after a brisk drive, I would check again after the car had an overnight rest.

Could be as simple as a re-gas as named symptom seem to be related to heat build up and lack of lubrication.
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Whining seems to be a warning to you that the compressor may be ready to seize. I'll be posting soon about my own aircon experience which has involved three compressors - the original which seized solid and threw the belt thus requiring a flatbed truck trip home at vast expense, the replacement compressor which unforunately was installed by a garage who failed to flush the system and so suffered the "black death" (also at vast expense) and now the third one which is running well. The second one started whining after a while as the black death worked its grim work. The new compressor does not whine at all.

My car has now done 40,000 miles and the seizing of the aircon compressor seems to be a problem that can manifest itself around that mileage (depends how much you use it, or perhaps not use it, ie leave the ATC in Econ mode). My advice would be to replace any whining compressor with a new one from the US as soon as practicable before yours seizes and the cost of replacement escalates. Have a look at techchoiceparts.com - our FS10 compressors (new, not rebuilt or "remanufactured" as the Yanks call them) are half price just now ($US130)!! Search the site for 4.6 li Ford Mustang GT Mach 1 2004.
    Last edited by Malcolmr; 03-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

There is a guy listing some 260 stuff on ebay at the moment who has them for £150 plus shipping

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gtracingno1/m...&_trksid=p4340
    Last edited by ColinE; 03-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Quote Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
    If it didn't do it before and from what you said started after a brisk drive, I would check again after the car had an overnight rest.

Could be as simple as a re-gas as named symptom seem to be related to heat build up and lack of lubrication.
    This morning it was silent! Fingers crossed a gas and some service oil will stop it from happening again :|

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolmr View Post

My car has now done 40,000 miles and the seizing of the aircon compressor seems to be a problem that can manifest itself around that mileage (depends how much you use it, or perhaps not use it, ie leave the ATC in Econ mode).
    The car has done 60k miles and the previous owner tells me it was replaced not so long ago..

Keep those fingers crossed and make sure your roadside recovery insurance is up-to-date!
    VIN 206
    This is definitely not her car...

bugger- I need a regas, and am suffering whine- do I spend a lump of the supercharger hoard on compressor, condenser, and labour, or just regas and hope for the best .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Start with a regas it's the cheapest - if it's not that then you've wasted the least

Mine has been regassed this week, and serpentine belt changed; as soon as I get her back I'll let you know if it's sorted the whine on mine out
    Last edited by ColinE; 04-02-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

thanks Colin, yes let me know.

wuld sooner keep the money stashed- evry little helps
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]