Differential Unit Replacement - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differential Unit Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    The diff will come out without taking the sub frame out. As has been said before the unit weighs a lot and care has to be taken when removing it.The drive shaft bolts are put in with locktight and can be problem to remove without damaging the bolt heads. I would not attempt it unless you have a ramp or pit. The diff requires to be rotated to get it out and because of its weight it takes a least two people to remove it.
    Thanks for the valueable advise, Scooter. I'm not going to attempt this myself or involve anyone else with me. It will be undertaken at a nearby garage and I can therefore inform the mechanics of what is required to from through experiences of this forum.
    When you say it requires to be rotated, will this be fwds/back or right/left/ sideways rotatation? I guess a good spray of release agent (wd40 or similar) would help with the release of the coupled drives and obviously an application of loctite for the bolt threads when it is finally coupled? Thanks.

Phil.

Probably also a good idea to mark the position of the shafts before removing to avoid any issues with vibration when assembling again
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

Quote Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
    Probably also a good idea to mark the position of the shafts before removing to avoid any issues with vibration when assembling again
    That indeed is a very valid point, but had already anticipated it . Thanks for your thought.

Default Differential Replaced - today

F.Y.I.
    Differential replaced today in 2 1/2hrs @ £50/hr - no more clonks & clunks, appears to be a job well done. Not sure if the mechanic took the easiest route, but probably the shortest, by removing all drive and prop-shaft, Front & Rear Mounting plate bolts and finally manipulating the 30 kilo diff out of the Sub-frame.
    The trick now is to be patient and meticulous with the running in period of 1500 miles with 1000mile oil drain-off and replenish with, I think, the Morris Lube Lodexol XFS 80w -140. And then continue with bed-in process for the next 500miles but with careful and varying amounts of speed and acceleration.

If any you are thinking of taking this on in the near future it?s not as daunting as you think and you don?t want to pay a certain OEM price from a well known part supplier, there is an alternative one, but I?m not sure how many units are still available, probably very few as these were on eBay recently.
    Contact details as below:

Mark (Manager)
    Mark (Parts Person)
    South Lakeland Mini Centre
    Barrow-in Furness
    Tel: 01229 836638
    mark@southlakesminis.com

If they want to know how you contacted them just say Phil bought one recently and gave me your details ? its ok guys, I?m not commission here.

Anyways, thanks to all for your advise/experiences/contribution ? every little helps.

Phil.