Erratic And Poor Radio Recption
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erratic And Poor Radio Recption

Default Erratic And Poor Radio Recption

HI
    CAN ANYONE SUGGEST WHAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM,VERY POOR RADIO RECEPTION BUT SOMETIMES CAN TRAVEL 70 MILES AND IT WILL BE BRILLIANT,ITS HIT AND MISS BUT IT DRIVES ME NUTS.I DONT KNOW IF ITS THE RADIO OR RECIEVER.THE BOOT IS DRY WERE THE ELECTRONICS ARE.
    THE CAR IS A ZT 260 SE 2004
    MANY THANKS

NO NEED TO SHOUT

First things first are you ensuring the HRW is off as that buggers up Radio reception in a big way
    Keith Alexander, Ellesmere, Shropshire UK,

Hi,
    Thanks For Reply,i Will Try It With H.r.w Of But Surely Car Wasn,t Built Or Designed With This Fault Already Present,there Must Be A Fix
    Cheers

Archived Member

Rubbish radio reception makes me shout too. It isnt obvious to everyone that capitals is shouting.I didnt know until very recently. Any way my radio is rubbish too,was told by MG Rover dealer(no longer in business)that it was an aerial problem and they fiddled with connection to aerials, located in rear side windows on tourers like mine,which improved it for a while. I've been tempted to fit a proper aerial but would be very upset after drilling a hole in the body to find it didnt help. Has any body done this? I've got cars from the seventies,vans and all sorts with perfect reception,so whats wrong with the 260's?

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

Interesting - I've never had any issues with radio reception, it's always been fine. Could it be that they sorted it before they got to the later cars?

If full capitals counts as shouting, does word capitalisation count as rasing your voice a bit? Bloody netiquette. I'd much rather people shouted in English than used fkin txt spk
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

hi
    in small letters,lol.
    it definetly is worst with hrw on i suppose its because the aerial is in rear screen,i dont know i am just guessing
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldybloke View Post
    Interesting - I've never had any issues with radio reception, it's always been fine. Could it be that they sorted it before they got to the later cars?

If full capitals counts as shouting, does word capitalisation count as rasing your voice a bit? Bloody netiquette. I'd much rather people shouted in English than used fkin txt spk

Never had any issue with radio reception in #456

ToTaLlY aGrEe On ThE nEtiqUeTte stuff
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

no. 172 ZT SE Monogram

my reception is also a lot worse with heated rear window on. It is ok otherwise, but admitedly not as good as on an older car I have with a proper ariel. where I can pick up other stations or carry a signal much further.

on the shouting/caps thing - although it isnt a big deal, writing with caps on/upper case is (forum wise) generally considered to be raising of voice so I concur with Keith - but we've all done it where you type a big long message then realise the caps lock was on - DOH!!!!!! can one be bothered to rewrite in lower caps - of course not. So obviously reading what's written its obvious it isnt meant to be shouting so no issue. just my two peeneth worth.
    MG ZT 260 SE Monogram, Olive black 2004 (LPG)
    Ford Mustang 289ci V8 (4.7) Convertible 1967, Silver
    Chevy Corvette convertible 350ci V8 (5.7), 1974, Metallic Blue
    Pontiac Firebird 403ci V8 (6.6), 1977, red
    Rover 214 Si 16v 1994 M White/grey (1600 k series)
    Rover 220 Turbo Coupe FDH 1995
    Rover Mini Cooper 1997 P
    Volvo 960 24v 2.9 estate 1991 J (in family from new)
    VW Polo 1.4SE auto 2005 (in family from new)
    Jaguar Mk 2 resto project
    Mercedes GLB 200d (lease)

hi
    i had no idea about the caps lock/big letter thing,i will know in future.but my question was not to anyone person so i dont consider it to be shouting,but it i dont mind being told by people in the know so to speak.its all a learning curve.
    thanks

Poor radio reception on some cars has always been a 75 issue especially with the HRW on, it affects some cars worse than others

Once upon a time the Hi line and higher spec standard Radios had a diversity input from two feeds from the HRW I think MGR stopped that as part of project drive. If you pull off the off side cover where the HRW connections are you will find the diversity amplifier but chances are it only has one coax going to the radio

Trying to separate the cables can help iirc
    Mike McCabe has discussed possible fixes for this iirc.
    Keith Alexander, Ellesmere, Shropshire UK,