Sorry if this is not posted in the correct place. Still fairly new here and trying to get used to it all. Finally collected my 260 today. As part of a list of agreed work, the aircon compressor was one job to do. The salesman told me it was done for and that they would be replacing it prior to sale. As it turned out, they struggled to get one - X-Part apparently had them on back order, so I was told. I suggested trying to source the compressor from the V6 Mondeo - no idea if they investigated that route any further. In the end, they sent to od on off to be refurbed. Fine, I thought, should be OK, right? (By this time my collection date for the car had been put back by over a week).
So, collected the car today from near Leeds, ready to drive home to near Nuneaton. Checked aircon - nice and cold. Drive home via folks' house near Huddersfield - still OK.
Part way down M1, thought I'd try the aircon again - no cold air. Just won't cool it at all.

Get home, pull on to drive to hear horrendous grating/clicking noise from under bonnet, which on investigation is most definitely the compressor. If I run it in econ (ie no aircon) the compressor emits this grating and clicking and the front of the compressor can be seen to be trying to spin - it sort of partially turns a few degrees, in time with the clicking. If I switch on the aircon at idle it damn near stalls the engine, such is the huge amount of force it must be taking to get the compressor turning.

I assume this supposedly refurbed pump is now on the verge of seizing up completely? Is this due, perhaps, to the fact that maybe the garage did not flush the system? Or is there another more likely cause?

Can I run the car without the compressor belt, or is the belt for the compressor also driving other items (was dark when I got home, will look tomorrow).

So, chuffed to bits I have the car - but a big problem already!!

Thanks

Stu