Detailing - claying, polish, wax etc

Thread: Detailing - claying, polish, wax etc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A Few years ago I bought a new transporter van, It came from swansea area and was apparantly stored near a railway line, after a few months when I polished it the surface felt rough, so contacted VW and there man came along to inspect, he used a magnifier to inspect these minor pimples which under the magnifier were actually rust eating into the paint work problem was you couldn't polish it out, so in the end changed it for a new one, they said the brake dust from the train may have caused it.

good thing i keep mine protected when i'm at work then with all the trains running around. the trains i work on use cast iron brake blocks
    Peter Essling

Hi Geoff,
    Yes that's the 'industrial fall-out' I was referring to. Apparently claying will do the trick. I'm just afraid that being useless at it, might mean I may as well have washed my car with a bucket of rocks.
    Peter - you have a silver car - what products (clay, polish etc) do you use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff11 View Post
    A Few years ago I bought a new transporter van, It came from swansea area and was apparantly stored near a railway line, after a few months when I polished it the surface felt rough, so contacted VW and there man came along to inspect, he used a magnifier to inspect these minor pimples which under the magnifier were actually rust eating into the paint work problem was you couldn't polish it out, so in the end changed it for a new one, they said the brake dust from the train may have caused it.

usual cleaning of my cars body work consists of..

Snow foamed to loosen the dirt, pressure washed off, washed with Meguiars gold class two bucket method, clayed using Zaino fine clay, washed again (two bucket method) dried, polished either hand or machined depends on how much time i have, then waxed.
    Peter Essling