fuel use + cruise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel use + cruise

Default fuel use + cruise

i have a 475 approx run coming up X2

east midlands to past inverness, then back a week later. aa route finder recon about 9hrs +

I have no particular schedule to keep or times that i have to arrive at either end - but i want to do each leg in a day.

whats the ideal best speed to sit at to get best fuel economy - most of route will be M6 motorway. i am happy to roll along and enjoy the scenery going past
    does cruise control get better economy than a careful right foot?

Keeping it at 70 will be both comfortable and green. Faster the speed the more you use. 56mph is the optimum I think in all the tests I read. Cruise control is the best way to save fuel on long constant speed runs.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

You should be able to do 500 miles easily. I do my trips to Poland in one go. I leave work a bit earlier (16.30) to catch a ferry or a tunnerl (21.00) and arrive in Poland at about midday next day. I am the only driver and have done the trip a couple of times now. 500 miles sounds like a warm up to me... Regarding speed, they say 90km/h (55mph) is the perfect speed for most vehicles. It's just so boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    ...green...

Best way to be economical..............loose your keys
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

i know, i know - fuel economy and "green" are not really the order of the day with one of these! its a long drag so just trying to do it at least cost - and to see what i can squeeze out of a tank.

then when i have reached my destination, will have the chance for some costal runs on country lanes where i think my fuel consumption will be very low if you get my meaning

Quote Originally Posted by chopper666 View Post
    i have a 475 approx run coming up X2

east midlands to past inverness, then back a week later. aa route finder recon about 9hrs +

I have no particular schedule to keep or times that i have to arrive at either end - but i want to do each leg in a day.

whats the ideal best speed to sit at to get best fuel economy - most of route will be M6 motorway. i am happy to roll along and enjoy the scenery going past
    does cruise control get better economy than a careful right foot?
    I did a similar run up onto the Black Isle just north of Inverness when I had my ZS180. All intentions of taking it steady to get the most out of the tank and to enjoy the scenery. Went up via Fort William and along Loch Ness but back via A9. Just something about the roads up there. Out went the good intentions and in came the lead right foot. I do quite a bit of Motorway driving in the 260. No cruise control on my Mk1 so gentle acceleration and keeping it below 80 returns low to mid 20's. A run last week to Aylesbury and back returned a little over 27

You're about right with 9 hours. It took us 8 from Wakefield.

Enjoy
    Dave Rushfirth

Empty garage where #138 used to be

Tim! obviously i wouldnt be going past 70 as that would be against the law

isnt 65 meant to be the magic number?

michal - yes i'm planning to do it in a day, have done east midlands to oban and the like before no worries. a long drive is not a problem for me. i just try and stay relaxed and take it steady. just toilet stops - and fuel to factor in!

I will be stopping to use toilets - i saw clarkson going new york taxi driver style the other night on dave or whatever. i wont be weeing into a bottle

Don't be tempted to wait until the light comes on, and then some. I did this a while back on the M4 and regretted it. Ended up on the hard shoulder calling the RAC The RAC bloke said that due to the horseshoe shape of the tanks in the 260, when you are on a straight and steady run, the fuel never gets sloshed about enough to balance the two sides up. The sensor must be on the opposite side to the fuel line outlet. Had I of rocked the back of the car enough when I ran out, I may have gained enough to get me the mere 2 miles to the next service station
    Belcher. :eek:<< 'Burp' !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MCSE:S, MCSA:S, MCITP
    CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA Linux+
    Linux LPI Level 1 & 2
    Citrix CCA
    VMWare VCP4
    Certified Ethical Hacker

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Basically, I am a techno-whore

cruise control- on the M6- with cocks in BM's and Audis ready to cut in front at evry opportunity- no chance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]