Daily Driver
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driver

Default Daily Driver

Hi All,

I bought a 260 about three weeks ago, with the intention of using as my daily driver. i have no other vehicle.
    how reliable are these cars really?

how many others use one as daily? seems to be a lot of modifications or to-do things to get sorted (heater hose etc etc), which am gradually getting through.

Appreciate its somethign different and a low volume car but is there light at the end of the tunnel when i get on top of things or is it something that is likely to need consistent tinkering? (ie heater system seems to be giving a lot of people ongoing problems - and me!)

i ran an alfa a while ago that was alway havign problems - and i mean always!- out 18 months of ownership, i recon i had 2 solid weeks of trouble free motoring where nothing went wrong!!!! I really dont want to go back to that

I've done the heater hose and the fuel clip, and apart from the heater/aircon not being very good, I've used mine daily for 3 1/2 years with not a single problem.

The 260 is my daily drive as well. Apart from a blown airco pump and heater valve (warranty) and gear box leak which soaked the clutch (clutch replaced and new seal) it has been fine. All known mods done. approx 20K/year for 2 years now.
    Fear keeps you alive. Fearless gets you killed

Herman

Vin#076 pics, Black, modified and with 234 RWHP and 276 lb/ft (275 BHP and 440 Nm @ flywheel)

FJ1200, DynoJet Stage 1, K&N filter

Alfa MiTo 1.4 Cloverleaf, 170 BHP, Alfa Rosso.

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

I've been using mine for a year as a daily driver. The fuel clip on mine was already done, so the only preventive change I've made is the heater hose. I've changed the front discs and pads and rear pads, but that's because they were buggered.

The only issue I've got outstanding is that the heater doesn't work on the passenger side. I'm in no rush to sort it as a) it's summer, and b) I'm rarely the passenger . Her indoors will start getting a bit grumpy again when the chills return, so I'll probably sort it then.
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

thanks chaps, thats good to know. although mine has a full dealer service it doesnt look like the previous owner was on here as none of the mods seem to have been done. light at end of tunnel in sight hopefully!

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chopper666 View Post
    light at end of tunnel in sight hopefully!
    ... but the noise is much better if you stay in the tunnel
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

Quote Originally Posted by chopper666 View Post
    Hi All,

how many others use one as daily? seems to be a lot of modifications or to-do things to get sorted (heater hose etc etc), which am gradually getting through.
    Chopper,

You may be interested in a poll I posted a while back. The results were quite interesting. More people use the 260 as a second car than i thought would. Here is the link to the poll.

https://www.two-sixties.co.uk/mgoc26...ead.php?t=4020
    Belcher. :eek:<< 'Burp' !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MCSE:S, MCSA:S, MCITP
    CompTIA Security+
    CompTIA Linux+
    Linux LPI Level 1 & 2
    Citrix CCA
    VMWare VCP4
    Certified Ethical Hacker

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Basically, I am a techno-whore

cheers belcher!

Yup, daily. Never really had an issue yet as most issues were fixed by the previous owner.

The aircon comp is seizing but i just run it on econ so that doesn't bother me. My diff sprang a leak but I think the oil change I requested caused that (had to be done anyway). Spring broke... but I can still drive the car acceptably until I get it swapped before the MOT.

So I guess you could say its not faultless... but is any car faultless after you get to the age where you have to start changing consumables? They are made out of materials that fatigue and will eventually fail.

As for alphas... guy here had a 156 and within the 1st month of ownership he had a new gearbox, then a new engine. he didnt keep it much longer after that... haha

I would think the new ones are ok though? isnt the guy who is running alpha now an ex-VW guy?
    Ian

tell me about your econ!?!?!?! i have posted on here asking about that - mine seems rubbish!!!. (- in electrical / climate control section)

suppose just getting a bit disheartened with a few niggles, i dont mind putting a bit into it to get it sweet, if it should stay reasonably ok after that. appreciate things break and wear and tear and all that.
    its the most i have spent on a car to date, so just becoming a little worried - dont want it to become a blackhole - but comments so far a positive. as mentioned earlier im working through the mods list

i have just ran a volvo s40 t4 fro the last 10 months and other than an oil change, all i had to do to it was replace a headlight bulb, a brake bulb and a fuse!!!

not sure about alfa now - would be wary unless it was company car and someone else was picking up the tab