Stretched handbrake cable

Thread: Stretched handbrake cable

Default Stretched handbrake cable

Is stretched handbrake cable a big issue on those cars? I have a CDTi and I have never had any probs.

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

Yes it is a bit - if you search the threads you'll find quite a lot of info. I think someone might be trying to source replacement cables. There is a bodge, sorry, fix That some people have done to overcome the problem.

I just use my handbrake as little as possible and leave the car in gear whenever it's parked.
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

its a combination of things- glazed drums, poor adjustment, front and back, and poor cable design
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Quote Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
    Stop teasing the man he can not see it.....yet. Just needs to be a bit quicker when he finds one and buys it.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Sorry - being a bit previous - been a long day
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

Must admit I was surprised when I found out how bad it was on mine, the CDTi's was tight and firm.

oo-er!

Erm, anyway, it hardly holds the car at the moment, amazed it got through the MOT to be quite honest!
    Did have #207, now belongs to John :(
    One day, I'll be back in the 260s... :)

...no ... I am ... really spartacus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveChilds View Post
    ...amazed it got through the MOT to be quite honest!
    When I got mine it was complete sh1te, and it had 'passed' it's MOT the same day

The guy I bought it from must have had connections
    Mark Willcox - Unsnared, like the wind in a net. Unsmeared, like a lotus in water. Leader of others, by others unled: The enlightened call him a sage

Quote Originally Posted by baldybloke View Post
    When I got mine it was complete sh1te, and it had 'passed' it's MOT the same day

The guy I bought it from must have had connections

That's the only way mines going to pass - specially as I still can't get that damned wheel off

Prior to computerisation, I investigated a couple of dodgy MoT garages. One of them was doing MoTs "by post". The other raised suspicions at VOSA (or whatever they were called back then, Vehicle Inspectorate I think) because their sole tester could not possibly conduct as many MoTs as they were issuing.

Things have tightened up these days, though some dodginess no doubt still goes on. It might be worth noting that the official record of your MoT is the record on VOSA's computer. The "certificate" you get is little more than a receipt. I have come across at least one forged example of the newer certificates, so if you're buying a used car it's worth seeing the certificate, noting the MOT test number (top left) and checking the VOSA website at www.motinfo.gov.uk. I think you can use the V5 document reference number if you don't have the MOT test number, but don't quote me on that.