Differential Wanted!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differential Wanted!!

Default Differential Wanted!!

Has anyone got a differential knocking around that they don't want?

I have now fitted two and both have been U/S on fit. I'm getting pretty good at it now, and have got removed and refitted the sub frame assy. in about 2 1/2 hours, but I am getting a bit dispondent over it all now. Bespoke auto developments have supplied the diffs (ex MGR bankrupt stock) and they have been more than helpfull, but I am still without a servicable diif and therfore car. Can anyone help?
    Last edited by Guy; 18-05-2009 at 10:48 AM.
    It's a V8 thing - 031

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Neptune View Post
    Has anyone got a differential knocking around that they don't want?

I have now fitted two and both have been U/S on fit. I'm getting pretty good at it now, and have got removed and refitted the sub frame assy. in about 2 1/2 hours, but I am getting a bit dispondent over it all now. Bespoke auto developments have supplied the diffs (ex MGR bankrupt stock) and they have been more than helpfull, but I am still without a servicable diif and therfore car. Can anyone help?
    Sorry to hear the problems you have had, I assume you have had refunds on the dud diffs you have been given? I'm not sure if the diff was a bespoke part for MG or available elsewhere as it was fitted to other makes/models?

No, it is not a bespoke part. It is the Dana Hydratrak LSD, fitted to lots of cars, including TVRs.

When mine was replaced, it was ordered direct from Australia where they are manufactured, but I would be surprised if Dreadnought couldn't help you in some way.

could try some tvr websites, although not sure on the cost of the units
    Peter Essling

What about Pilsden Autos(Dorset) for a 2nd hand one? they are breaking one with around 30k on it don't know how much they would want for one, they are advertising on Ebay (front wiring loom ZT V8).

thats a good idea Paul. Very helpful on the phone when i brought the gear surround from them
    Peter Essling

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Flash View Post
    What about Pilsden Autos(Dorset) for a 2nd hand one? they are breaking one with around 30k on it don't know how much they would want for one, they are advertising on Ebay (front wiring loom ZT V8).
    Quote Originally Posted by pessling View Post
    thats a good idea Paul. Very helpful on the phone when i brought the gear surround from them
    Went to them on Guys behalf today £520 + Vat Anyone have a good idea on cost of these units?
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

Thank you Gents for all your advice, it's appreciated. £520 + VAT is a bit painful! :I will have to see. I am still sorting out things with bespoke at the moment. I will keep you posted.
    It's a V8 thing - 031

The ones at Auto developments I saw looked new ???? or were these factory warranty returns like the first engine Martin Warner had ??
    Perhaps we need to find a good alternative supplier for these, I had contacted the uk rep regarding technical issues I wonder if we could do a group buy ???

Heres some info from previous post,

Diff oil information from Dana
    Ive had a reply from Dana regarding the diff and the recommended oils that can be used,
    HI Geoff

Your below email has found its way to me via the USA and Australia.

It is good to learn that there are still enthusiasts for the MG ZT260, I was the DANA Australia?s UK engineer for the MG project, I also looked after: - TVR, Aston Martin, Marcos and still manage Morgan Motor Co account.

Answering your question is not straightforward, the limiting factor for the final drive unit is the amount of torque it experiences and how many times it sees high torque loadings. The torque is either the max engine torque multiplied by the transmission and final drive gear ratio or the ability of the tyres to transfer this torque to the road before slip occurs. The numbers of experiences of high torque loading is in the driving style and/or the load generated by the vehicle, i.e. trailer towing, hard acceleration, high speed driving, track days etc.

To sum up high torque loadings bend the gear teeth, as with any material it will only bend and recover so many times before reaching its full life at which point it will fail. In racecar applications, teams will often replace the gearsets based on a set life, thus avoiding a fail.

There are only three oils available in the UK that have full sign-off for the unit. These are:-
    Mobil SHC80W140 id
    Castrol SAF-XJ
    Morris Lubricants Lodexol XFS 80W-140, this is my preferred option as it has high concentrations of friction modifier and is available if small pack sizes.

Rebuilding the units is not straight forward as the gear tooth contact Patten is not what most UK transmission re-builders are used to, However John Reid of Grantura Engineering http://www.readmanracing.co.uk
    As TVR?s ex race team manager has a lot of experience with these units and carries many of the parts.

If you require any further information please call or email me.

Best regards
    Mark Longmore
    BPW Limited: Light & Agricultural Trailer Products Manager
    Mobile +44 (0) 7795 838156
    Tel +44 (0) 116 2816100
    Fax +44 (0) 116 2816140

www.bpw.co.uk

I will make contact tomorrow