Rubbers and plastics

Thread: Rubbers and plastics

Default Rubbers and plastics

Can you recommend anything for the rubbers and plastics of the car Peter?

I don't usually bother cleaning them, but thought i would give them a quick wipe over using some plastic restorer spray I found in the garage (autoworks i believe).

Kinda worked - the plastic/rubber bits around the windows and the black vertical strips in the centre of the doors came up lovely, however my windows have developed an awful creaking when hitting some rough road. Its just a windows rubbing on cleanish rubber type creak, but still quite annoying, will probably have to rub them all down with plain water to remove any left over cleaner etc.

But anyway, back to the original question, good plastic cleaners that dont leave a shiny finish....
    Ian

that's one of them areas that i have tired in the past but haven't found anything that lasts very long and doesn't leave residue behind. Looks good when you first apply it until you touch it. I have used back to black in the past on the girlfriends punto black bumpers and looked good.

Being a Meg's man i would give there Natural Shine Vinyl and Rubber Protectant a go as with all there other products are top notch.

I have used Silicon lub spray in the past and comes up good, but as most don't last.
    I always thought that the door surrounds are a bit of a let down when you see cars with proper colour coded solid door surrounds.

I don't think there are many products about that offer a non shiny finish other than giving them a good clean down

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/sp...?pc=G4116&tp=0
    Peter Essling

Quote Originally Posted by pessling View Post
    I always thought that the door surrounds are a bit of a let down when you see cars with proper colour coded solid door surrounds.

Black FTW!

I'll give them a wash down with soap and water to try and remove the new creaks, luckily the plastics looks ok at the moment with only the roof rails showing bad signs of aging so maybe just a normal wash is best for the moment.
    Ian

i find the screw covers on the roof rails are bad, mine are close to white, think i'll paint them
    Peter Essling

Those roof rail covers are expensive, over £ 3.00 each, I replaced mine when I bought the car 3 years ago, luckily as its garaged in the week they have stayed looking new.

Default Roof rail covers

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff11 View Post
    Those roof rail covers are expensive, over £ 3.00 each, I replaced mine when I bought the car 3 years ago, luckily as its garaged in the week they have stayed looking new.
    Hi Geoff,mine are going a bit grey where did you get your new ones?

What do you think they would look like colour coded.

DBC101640PMA finisher assembly roof joint Right hand £41.60
    DBC101650PMA finisher assembly roof joint left hand £41.60
    DYB100120 Plug £3.33
    DBE100210 Clip-roof joint finisher retaining £1.43
    DBE100240 Clip-roof joint finisher retaining £1.43
    Peter Essling

Before

After

Although you would still see the lines as the picture is completely merged into the roof, but would look good if you got a body shop to do it and respray the roof.
    Last edited by pessling; 20-03-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    Peter Essling

Good work there Peter, looks very classy, perhaps this could be the next mod for the more adventurous owner

might try and get home of some of the strips and paint them see how they come out
    Peter Essling