Should I(t) stay or should I(t) go. (In the words of The Clash) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I(t) stay or should I(t) go. (In the words of The Clash)

I drive a 75 cdti most days and find that the combined cost isn't too bad. The 75 is pretty bullet proof and running costs are very low. Standard parts are dead easy to get- the last time I was in SMC they'd just had one in with 200k on it - for a routine service

Overall that allows me to indulge in the 260 with very low insurance costs and have a lot of fun!

I'm convinced that for me this is better than having a single car and replacing every 2 or 3 years

If the 75 was totalled tomorrow I'd buy another one 'cos they're ridiculously cheap as well
    A

Quote Originally Posted by BigA View Post
    I drive a 75 cdti most days and find that the combined cost isn't too bad. The 75 is pretty bullet proof and running costs are very low. Standard parts are dead easy to get- the last time I was in SMC they'd just had one in with 200k on it - for a routine service

Overall that allows me to indulge in the 260 with very low insurance costs and have a lot of fun!

I'm convinced that for me this is better than having a single car and replacing every 2 or 3 years

If the 75 was totalled tomorrow I'd buy another one 'cos they're ridiculously cheap as well
    Same for me too... i totally agree. My 75 is fantastic (although the 2.0 V6 gives the old V8 a run for its money at the fuel pumps!) its a top quality bullet proof daily runaround and its stupidly cheap to ensure and run.

It definitely allows you to enjoy and appreciate the V8 more too.
    #390 - It's not easy being green... and gold and yellow

Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Well my thoughts as someone after buying one is to keep it, most of the faults you have worked through and as an ex car salesman I have seen so many ppl trade in their cars for something else only to have the new car have more problems and spend even more money on than what they were and the person who brought their car have no problems with it.

I cant really think of another car like the 260 you can get for that sort of money unless u want to spend double for a Monaro.... or get a left hand drive US Car that will be a nightmare for parts at times....

I currently run a 75 cdt thats running at about 165-170bhp and I am in 2 minds about running it as a second car or sell it once I have the 260 as the extra money I will spend on insurance, tax servicing etc will pay for fuel and repairs for the 260.. Unless you went for true bangernomics and get a little 1ltr or 1.5d or something but even then a car is a car and it can be just as expensive with problems...

With the LPG you are effectivly getting 30-40mpg which the way I drive my 75 is not much less (41mpg) but that depends what the government do with LPG as its due for an announcment I think soon from what I have been told....

Martin
    I find getting parts for American cars very easy. And they are often quicker on delivery even if coming from the States, and they are cheaper too.
    I have a 21 year old Mustang, and virtually every part has been re-manufactured, with lots of different performance option too.

SJR
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.

Ive had some large bills in nearly 5 years of ownership,S/C,master cylinder and clutch(which was an engine out jobby),tyres,.... and I dread to think how much juice its supped .....but I tell you what I wouldn't swop it for the world,nothing quite like the feeling of driving with the masses and knowing that your the only "Blue in the Village" being unique does have its advantages!! suffice to say it even got me some discount from wilco motor factors today on some oil in return that I opened up the bonnet for the lad behind the counter to have a peek!....can live with that!,keep it mate you'll be glad you did!!.

Opinions is opinions and I've got mine! Gotta say that my ZT 260(now400)-even with it's quirks is the best car I've ever owned. I'd probably only swap it for another one. I've had my share of problems(fan pack,fuel clip,heater hose.radiator,tyre wear,poor air con etc), however I've found that now I've sorted them, then (touch wood) things have been hunky dory!! I'll always remember starting the engine in Bridgnorth High Street and a bloke almost dropping his pint as he exclaimed "f@%k me" (must be the x-powers) and I seriously can't think of another car that comes close for the money. It's upto you, but I just know I'd rather be one of "us" than one of "them"

Our family car before the 260 was a Vauxhall Zafira. We bought this car as a pre registered ex demo car. I thought that as we had just started a family, I should for the first time in my life buy a sensible car. Also as I had my Mustang for summer use, I could just about cope with driving such a dull car.
    I always really look after my cars well, including the Zafira, and over four years of ownership it still looked immaculate. However it was a complete piece of junk. The Main ECU packed up in the first month, and we had lots of problems with it for the first two years, it then did'nt cause major problems until the warranty run out. When it had major electrical problems it took trips to two Vauxhall dealers and one independent garage to fix.
    This took around three weeks and with a few other problems cost us £2200.

It did seem to have a sense of humor though, When we were at the Safari park it decided to lower one of the rear windows and then keep it open. And of course we were in the Lion enclosure.

I know this may have been a "Rogue" car but it has put me of sensible cars for a while.

Good luck,

SJR
    Last edited by SJR; 09-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Newey View Post
    Opinions is opinions and I've got mine! Gotta say that my ZT 260(now400)-even with it's quirks is the best car I've ever owned. I'd probably only swap it for another one
    Couldn't agree more... the ZT thing gets in your blood!
    #390 - It's not easy being green... and gold and yellow

I'd keep it and buy a "mule" for daily use, absorbing trolley dings etc..

I run a 1.2 clio mon-thursday, and Blak Olive for the weekend- it makes driving it even better, and takes pressure off you if you do have a problem with the car
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by black olive View Post
    I'd keep it and buy a "mule" for daily use, absorbing trolley dings etc..

I run a 1.2 clio mon-thursday, and Blak Olive for the weekend- it makes driving it even better, and takes pressure off you if you do have a problem with the car
    I bet you love getting back into the MG though, i know i do after sharing dads vectra all week!
    2004 MG ZT 260 SE #269
    2000 MGF 1.8 Steptronic

MG ZT260 SE #171 'The Boat'
    - Gone but not forgotten

Daily Driver:- 2019 Seat Ateca 1.6 TDi Xcellence

Quote Originally Posted by Stu C View Post
    I bet you love getting back into the MG though, i know i do after sharing dads vectra all week!
    I go from a LWB merc sprinter to the 260 - interesting change, though while the 260 is off for repair have alfa 159 (not nice)
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end