Cylinder heads available - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cylinder heads available

Default Cylinder Heads

I would like a pair of heads if there are any left, please!

Phil. Mobile 0785zero 8one7137

ZT-T
    Last edited by Tim; 29-01-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: changed the number to include a bit of text as this part of the site is open to bots

Default Cylinder heads for sale

Can anyone comment on whether the right and left heads on our engines are interchangeable as I understand only new right bank are available but the left bank,apart from the cam is identical!

Thanks for your help.

Phil ZT-T vin #399

Quote Originally Posted by R.D.Stillwaters View Post
    Can anyone comment on whether the right and left heads on our engines are interchangeable as I understand only new right bank are available but the left bank,apart from the cam is identical!

Thanks for your help.

Phil ZT-T vin #399
    Would have said no as I don't think they are asymmetrical. Just checked my Sean Hyland engine bible and there is no mention of being able to swap heads so again would say no.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

when you think about where the timing gear is and where the exhaust ports are there is no way that they could be swapped because of the way the inlet and exhaust outlets are, so would need to be different
    Peter Essling

Default re; heads

I have just re-checked the heads L/H side to R/H side andf believe me they are the same apart from the cams poking out from different ends.
    The casting numbers are the same and all holes and threads and dowel locations are the same.
    I have even changed the cams side to side.
    I suppose that is why they call it a modular engine.

Anyone that orders the next pair of heads and is not happy with taking a pair of R/H heads can have my own L/H head.

Regards

Jerry

Default Heads for Sale

Hi Jerry,

I've spoken to MG Rover main dealers, Dreadnaught and others and a bit of research of my own and the concensus of opinion is that the L/R heads are different (same castings i.e. casting numbers but machined differently) and they are not interchangeable.

However personally I would like just one pair please if you can provide a right and left head.

Many thanks. Phil 078five0 8171three7

Thanks Gerry. The two heads are fantastic value. I have had a close look at both left & right side and like you cannot see any difference at all. And as we found out at your workshop only the head gaskets differ tochange the coolant flow charateristics through each head.

Sean Hewland (USA) reckons they are different but couldn't say why. Other USA racing suppliers sell modified head x 2 required with no reference to right or left side.

thanks again for a great deal and great hospitality also :-)

Phil & Dawn