endurance racer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: endurance racer

Quote Originally Posted by Fleckers66 View Post
    ..........................short for any of the above and if I did SWMBO would kill me for not sorting out her car and the mortgage

Sounds oddly familiar? Is this a common 260 problem, I know I suffer from it
    Colin Ellis #456 It'll be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end

(quote) or maybe just get an audi RS6...............

SJR
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.

If you have the skills needed then I don't think it would cost that much to put a 32v motor in. You can pick up used motors from 03-04 Terminator Cobra Mustangs quite cheaply and a Viper spec T-56 6 speed is not to expensive, although I would just run with the standard box and see how it holds up. I would also assume that the axle would cope with the power.

I assume that the steering column would clear, as it must be lower than head height when it passes the motor?

Most of the work involved would be bodywork/shell fabrication.
    And maybe a stand alone engine management system such as the ones from F.A.S.T (Fuel Air Spark Technology) could get it all talking?

And the exhaust would use the original equipment.

But there are still options with the 2 valve, they can be stroked to 5.0 or more with some lovely forged internals, and you normally get a nice increase in torque with a stroker motor .
    Or you could add a power adder Supercharger, remote turbo or two, or you could add the giggle gas

SJR
    Super Jumbo Racing
    05 260 Saloon
    87 5.0 Mustang G.T.

I agree with SJR and for the following reason.

I am not conviced that 4 smaller valves is always better than 2 big ones. It doubles the amount of valve springs for a start and that increases drag on the crankshaft. That in itself raises the revs at which the power is available as the engine has to overcome the significant inertia created by all those springs before it can start to perform.

OK, you can get more fuel/air in, to a degree, but for the above reason low speed torque is reduced. The advantage of having a big V8 is exactly that...low down torque. My preference would be to preserve the low down torque on a road car, by retaining the 16 valve configuration and stroking or s/c it.

Anyone know how the Oz owner (sorry, forgot his name )is getting on replacing his engine with a SC 500+(?)bhp monster direct from SHM??

Cant remember the facts now... was it a modified 2v 4.6 ford V8? or a Chevrolet V8 that apparently fits in our engine bay (it was an option over the ford unit at one point in the development process?)
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by SH4RKY View Post
    Anyone know how the Oz owner (sorry, forgot his name )is getting on replacing his engine with a SC 500+(?)bhp monster direct from SHM??

Cant remember the facts now... was it a modified 2v 4.6 ford V8? or a Chevrolet V8 that apparently fits in our engine bay (it was an option over the ford unit at one point in the development process?)

V8fangio (Steve) is progressing his mod. Its a 32v 5L from SHM with 520bhp I think.
    Tim Hayton

Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not.

don't think its the 32 valve Tim, as he never mentioned any extra work with the firewall, although i could be mistaken.
    Peter Essling

Glad to hear it

With all those v8 Holdens running about down there I guess he needed the extra oomph
    Ian