Parts CD - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parts CD

Quote Originally Posted by Nich View Post
    Just for information purposes, I have got a copy of this CD and have run it on my computer running Windows 10 64 bit. It's not a particularly easy interface to navigate and I am not sure it's particularly accurate information but it does work.

Nich.
    Mine would not, Nich. When installing it complained that IE 5.1 or greater was not installed. Tried to change the INI file on a disk-copy of the CD, without success. Maybe an older CD that I have? Anyway, it did install on the XP machine.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Mine would not, Nich. When installing it complained that IE 5.1 or greater was not installed. Tried to change the INI file on a disk-copy of the CD, without success. Maybe an older CD that I have? Anyway, it did install on the XP machine.

David
    Depending on how techy you're feeling there are ways to install an old version of IE and fool it into using it, it's not all that straight forward though and TBH Rimmers online one is pretty much just the same.
    James Curgenven
    ZT 260 SE #455 "Hobbes - The Rumblebee"
    "By my deeds I honour him, V8."

Quote Originally Posted by James C View Post
    ... Rimmers online one is pretty much just the same.
    Old thread about the EPC, but worth noting I think that Rimmer's have had a change of heart (for the worse) about the time of James' last post, and don't even show exploded diagrams if they don't have at least one part in stock now. Furthermore, they now only list the descriptions and part-numbers of parts which they have in stock for the decreasing number of exploded diagrams which they do show. NLA is becoming "does not exist".

Very annoying. I was at Damen & Kroes last week and they couldn't find a particular part either, because even their Xpart site link had been down for days ! They even tried using the Rimmer's site (!) without any great success either.

Has anyone with their ear actually asked XPart if they would be prepared to officially market the EPC CD in the same way they do for the Technical Manual I wonder? If not, whether it could perhaps be made available to the Two-Sixties for solely reference purposes perhaps? Checking their own XPart Part-Finder is being made particularly difficult as a result of its absence, so would I imagine promote sales. No need for prices necessarily, since that would be provided on-line, once the part number and "official" description of a part was determined. Updating need not be a problem, therefore.

David
    Last edited by David; 10-07-2019 at 05:45 PM.

I have a non-legal (as in illegally downloaded) XPart EPC that dates back to early 2011 which I have running on an older Windows XP laptop, it's a bit cumbersome as in order to run it, one has to set the clock back to early 2011, but it allows me to check on diagrams and part numbers, pretty much in the same way as one would have done with Rimmer before they decided to remove older, NLA parts. The only disadvantage is that parts that may have had a change of reference/part number since 2011 would obviously not give me the latest reference...but there are not that many changes anyway.
    Regarding the recent change with Rimmer no longer referencing NLA parts, my XPart-affiliated garage told me that XPart has been doing the same for their own, current EPC, which runs strictly online now (as opposed to my older copy which runs locally). As Rimmer uses the XPart EPC as the background engine for their own customer front-end, this might also be the explanation. My own garage now has to rely on previous EPC programs to find those part numbers that are no longer referenced and of which he may still have NOS.

Could XPart provide us, MGR clubs, with an EPC that would just show us diagrams and part numbers, including NLA ones? Since there's no obvious business gain for them to do that, since NLA parts are...well, NLA and therefore not orderable from them, I highly doubt they would even consider it.

An online alternative to Rimmer that I know of, to check on diagrams and part numbers, is https://allbrit.de/UGCtree.cfm?SPRACHE=EN, but they don't have the 260s there, and are a lot less user-friendly. The diagrams they use also seem to be considerably less current than the Rimmer ones.
    1999 2.5 V6 Rover 75 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
    2004 4.6 V8 MG ZT-T (the only known auto ZT-T V8) - LHD
    1993 2.7 V6 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
    1993 Rover 216 GSi
    1975 Rover P6 3500